Dormers on 1-1/2 storey house

BobWeaver

I rarely use the architectural features of VW, so I'm wondering how easy it is to create gable dormers on a 1-1/2 storey house. I looked at the various examples for drawing dormers, but they all appear to be wholly part of the roof. As typical for a 1-1/2 storey house, the windows extend from the 2nd floor exterior wall into the roof (see attached elevation sketch). Note that I'm using VW 2016 fundamentals, not Architect. However, the roof object and roof face features are available in fundamentals. 

This is for my future vacation home that I want to have reasonably well laid out before taking it to an architect to do the detailed design. So, It's not absolutely necessary for me to get it perfect, but I'd like to get it as good as I can with reasonable effort.

ElevationSketch.png

Guest Wes Gardner

Experiment with adding wall peaks using the Reshape Tool.  Double-click on a wall, this will put you in "reshape mode" where you can then add or subtract peaks. See screen shot - selecting the plus sign lets you add peaks (top left in the drawing window).  For model set-up, I'd divide the house into a first floor and a second floor.  The second floor walls could be reshaped to provide the dormers you're looking for.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 12.35.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 12.41.49 PM.png

Edited by Wes Gardner