Augmented Reality 2 (sports hall)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Since ARKit is software based, Apple put a lower limit on the supported devices and I don't see that changing. You must have a device that runs an A9 chipset or better.

There is a limit to the file size/complexity that Nomad AR can handle. Currently the app will freeze if you load a file that is too complex, but we will look into a better way to gracefully handle this situation.

• 2 weeks later...

@Alex NicolHi I notice that AR on Nomad the image props for trees etc show as crossed planes rather than facing the viewer all the time as it does in a normal walktrhough in VW.

Is there anything happening to change this as thinking about landscape architects using the landscape package and with most of the images being Image props they are going to run into issues with AR and VR.

Thanks

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • 2 weeks later...

This seems to have become a bit of a defacto Nomad AR thread sooo…

I’ve started doing some tinkering with AR in Nomad, iOS, v.5.9. Viewing on iPhone SE/128 running iOS 11.2.2, output from vwx 2018 SP2.
Mostly, it seems straightforward; I’m keeping the model pretty simple-a little event layout with a small ATV in front of a small stage, a video monitor on the stage, a small circular truss overhead with 4 lighting fixtures on it. Well and good. The ability to show/grey/hide layers is nice, too.

Here’s what I’m not finding a solution for.
There seems to be but a single render mode, and it looks like OpenGL w/o edges. Shadows are being cast, so there’s obviously a light source, though there isn’t one in my model.
For many applications for me, it’d be extremely useful to render in the equivalent of OGL with edges, but no colors, and Ambient Occlusion. It would make it a better presentation tool for me (perhaps others?), and remove the need to texture and color things before working out masses and locations. White model mode (if you will) would also help the AR insert to show up better against its background, and AO would, I think, drastically improve the rendered aesthetic, as well as making items in the model easier to see. In an utterly perfect world, I could use Artistic Renderworks, with AO, but I can guess at the processing overhead that represents, so I could happily live for a while with-
•Open GL, with drawn edges and no colors,
•Ambient Occlusion,
•and for extra Krispy Goodness, the ability for any screen images I’m using to show up, and in color. When things go in front of a corporate client, it never hurts to be able to put their logo on a screen. And if that’s the only thing in color on the model, even better.

•bearing in mind the aforementioned heavy lifting of Artistic RW (so maybe everything isn't available), the ability to set a render mode within vwx that'll carry through to Nomad. Perhaps OGL modes only?

Is there a way to do this on the app as it stands, and I’m missing it?

I tried setting the model up in vwx with those OGL settings (including AO), then exporting to Nomad, that didn’t do it, and one of the last things I’d want to do is go through an entire model recoloring things. Even if I did, it doesn’t seem like that would get me my screen image, since it doesn’t seem to appear in the colorful mode that I have now. I also think I still wouldn’t have edges. Ditto, keeping a separate bleached-out model for AR is extra non-billable work for me for something that seems pretty simple.

This could become a powerful presentation tool, especially for clients that have a hard time visualizing, but for me, lacking these abilities, it ain’t quite there, yet. I’m hoping I’m missing something, so input is welcome, and I thank you in advance!

-andrew saboe

www.saboedraws.com

@ajs Thank you for taking the time to write this!

You are correct that there is a single render mode. We are placing a light source in the model at an arbitrary location and doing basic openGL rendering w/textures. The AR rendering engine is totally different than what is used in Vectorworks and any rendering settings do not carry over into the Nomad AR viewer. What you want to do is set the fill color of the objects in your model to white.

The viewer does not currently support draw edges or ambient occlusion. I have gotten similar feedback to yours so I will bump up the priority of this wish.

Here is an example of a model where all the objects have a white fill:

image.thumb.png.c721361dd16a32fa922ad6dc7c22b10a.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just a summer update: my instruction videos on how to use AR in interior design projects are in the making. Would be nice though if Nomad would be able to link to OneDrive as well, not just Google Drive and Dropbox. I read in the FAQ you’re thinking of maybe adding other third party cloud drives, but can uou be a *little* more specific? Next fall would come in very handy. Just saying… ;-)

Hi @Jan-Burger TROOST,

Integration with OneDrive is a very popular user request, so if we start working on another third-party cloud storage integration, chances are, it will be OneDrive. We don't have an estimate of when or whether this could be done yet, but it is on our radar, for sure.

Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Iskra Nikolova

Hello Iskra,

Thank you for your quick answer, this makes me hopeful 😇

I’m a complete null in using Service Hooks and things like that, but it seems doable to have a third party app connect to their cloud: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/service-hooks/?view=vsts

Adding this particular cloud to your raindance would make some thousand of Interior Design students very happy!

Cheers, JB

11 hours ago, Alex Nicol said:

Hi @Matt Overton,

This is a very interesting idea. So you want to persistently anchor a model on a site, then have the cloud automatically update it when you update your VW file? 

Well not continuously but every week or so. Would be completely ok if it wasn't automatic and required publishing, but yes if we as designers could train the model to know how it fits in the space and clients could then using their own device see the same model that would be a game changer.

Yes, ARKit 2.0 is very cool! It allows developers to map virtual 3D content onto 2D images, 3D objects or even a location in a room. You can stream these maps to others in the same room, or save them for later. The possibilities are endless, so keep posting ideas!