Augmented Reality 2 (sports hall)

14 hours ago, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

Nice work! Assuming you made this in VW, how did you make it work in AR? 

thanks.

VW to Unity3D

I use the Vuforia SDK with Unity and even though it was a 3-day slog to get it all in place I can honestly say its a 20 min job now. There is no coding it really is just a drag and drop exercise for the most part.

I have now included touch events such as scale and move (Android) and once again it was a simple exercise.

I started here:

http://www.justapixel.co.uk/how-to-make-an-ar-app-in-5-minutes-with-unity-and-vuforia/

Its a bit out-of-date but for the most part you can work it out. Anyone who wants to give it a try then feel free to ask if you get stuck (happy to help)

I suppose that tomorrow night this method will become a bit more outdated, due to ARkit? ;-)

Wouldn't it be cool to export a 3D model to Nomad and 'swipe' it into the real world from *within* the app.

I know some students here that would be very eager to get their hands on it for their interior designs...!

Will give your method a go & come back to you in a while.

Cheers, JB

16 minutes ago, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

I suppose that tomorrow night this method will become a bit more outdated, due to ARkit? ;-)

There are two routes with ARKit (iOS) and ARCore (Android). Both of these will enhance my current work but I will not lose the experience gained.

12 minutes ago, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

will their be a general repository

You put your assets (building and interior objects) into Unity3D and create the AR from there

Your students will be able to texture interiors and then create the AR project in Unity3D via .fbx from VW

• 4 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Just popping in let you all know that you can now visualize your 3D models in Apple's ARKit, inside Nomad. Just generate a 3D model file (.vgx) by clicking on the .vwx file, open it, and place it on a surface. You can then scale it to real world size.

http://blog.vectorworks.net/-bring-your-designs-to-the-real-world-with-augmented-reality

• Like 1

@Jan-Burger TROOSTHi if you are teaching students and you are interested in AV and you might want your students to be able to put on a VR headset and walk around their designs you should take a look at some of my video tutorials as i have been experimenting with VR and I can now take a model form VW and place it into Unity3D and using a HTCVive unit walk around.

VW2018 is great as it has Export Object which doesnt have the problems of normals disappearing like FBX and 3DS does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8kDxktdVH8

If anyone has tips or is playing with VR or AR would love to hear from you so i can learn more.

First you need to get your Vectorworks file into the cloud (via the Vectorworks Cloud website or the Desktop app).

From there, open up Nomad, log in, and click on the Vectorworks file you just uploaded.

It will ask to Generate the 3D model. Click Yes.

In a moment or two it will generate a VGX file.

Click on this and select View In AR in the dialog that appears.

If you have a compatible device, you can now point the camera towards the floor, or other horizontal surface.

A message will appear on the screen that you are to tap to place the model.

Then you can use gestures to manipulate the position and scale of the model.

Tips:

Center your model in the center of the Vectorworks Internal Origin (this becomes the center of the placement in AR).

Simplify your model by removing any complex or unnecessary elements 

Objects like 3D plants don't work that well because they are too complex

If you want to view at 100% scale, you have to have a large enough space to use it, otherwise the illusion is lost and the model appears to float.

Good luck!

Great, glad you got it working! The scale of the design layer should not matter. Did you notice a difference?

Here's a hidden feature to check out:

Tap on a surface of the 3D object to hide it. You can see the interior floor plan of a building by tapping to hide, on the roof/walls.

Yes, NOT moving the model towards 0,0 and scaling it to 1:1 will give you a bad time. 

It's not too surprising when you think about it, but a building set 100 meters from origin, scaled at 1:1 in ARKit, will be 100 meters from where you set it down. We could calculate a bounding box and use that as the center, but there are times when that might not work.

@Alex Nicol. ARKit havn't played with that yet, any where i should start in tutorials. Currnetly am heavily into learning how to get my VW models int Unity3D which is working well. So keen to learn more things.

Thanks

Edited by Alan Woodwell