Sign in to follow this  
christian

Trace Bitmap Tool

This is similar to the post below.

I have a black & white logo in bitmap form. I imported it into VW 10.5, hoping to be able to use the trace bitmap tool to convert the logo into lines. When I used the ‘Trace Bitmap’ tool it simply out-lined the whole image i.e it put a rectangular frame around the entire image.

I am sure that in the past I have been able to do this. Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Christian

VW10.5

Was the image a bitmap prior to importing or was it a jpg, gif, tiff, etc ?

The Bitmap is a new grouped object and the original image is left unchanged. If one edits the group, the collection of lines of the traced bitmap should be available to be edited.

Katie

The imported image was a bitmap. Would I get better results with any other file format?

Christian

I have never been able to get acceptable results with the trace bitmap tool. I have switched to using Adobe Streamline for this sort of thing, and it doesn't do a great job but better than VW. Is there any plan to improve the sensitivity of this tool in the future?

I seem to have the same problem as christian. It seems to me that many of you guys have the, probably simple, solution to this. The image is a scanned bitmap.

thx in advance

bettes

btw i'm using VW 10.5 arch

Can you email the bitmap to me please?

Both, if you are still have the problem.

Katie,

Thanks for the fast customer service!

It seems that our Dutch manual has a flaw in it... There is no reference to the fact that the "bitmap" needs to be a .pict on the trace bitmap page.

The answer to our question: Convert the .bmp to a .pict and the trace bitmap tool works without a flaw!

greetz

bettes

I there something in Vectorworks that allow you to convert to a PICT or do I need a separate program and if so which one works well?

Balus,

Open the image (bitmap) with Preview, then go to File - Export...Select ".pict" for the format....HTH.

-Jacques.