Architectural Drawing Template

Hi,

I just upgraded from VW12 to 17. Finding the stories feature hard to get used to. I was wondering if there is a template out there for small multi storey residential projects. I was hoping for something with all the stories, layers, elevations viewports set up, render lights and basic symbols and materials in place. VW12 had some great example projects to start off from but that was in the days when you actually got a disc :-) 

John T

Thanks guys, 

I'll take a look at the the all the material you have given me. Seems pretty complicated compared to 2012. Thanks again Ill dive in.

If anyone knows of other threads that would be important for me to review or have good tutorials embedded please send me to them. I do mainly custom and at time complex residential housing and 2012 work pretty well for me.

Stories and their Levels itself aren't very complicated.

It is just that I hope for a better implementation in VW 2018.

To make the VW System better understandable I recommend to

strictly mentally separate Stories/Levels from the mixed in Layer stuff.

Means to deactivate alle Layer creation checkboxes in (Default) Level creation.

(Until you are familiar with the System and know what you do and what you want)

Create Story/Level Settings first and create Layers manually afterwards

and manually assign Stories to them in Layer Organization.

(Double check Layers Heights after Story assignment = hurdle #1)

Do all Default Level creation BEFORE you create Stories.

(Or you may run in later Level update quirks = hurdle #2)

Maintaining and changing Story Heights later itself is save.

(Fine !)

Edited by zoomer

So I'm working on it and 4 hours in I still haven't created a template. I start with the template supplied in the drop down but then when I "create std viewports" all hell breaks loose with the layers renamed and duplicate classes created. 2012 these two commands worked together. Doesn't seem the case now. Getting frustrate...... 

OK so I created 2 stories, a roof and a crawlspace in stories. Then I created standard view ports. Then deleted all the extra layers and classes. For some reason all my stories settings changed so I changed those back. So now I'm where VW12 would have taken me 30 seconds. Now, does anybody know why some of my walls are not full height or not showing up or just components don't show up? 

I'm just looking for a slab layer and mod layer (working) for each floor with sheets, classes and saved views set up in the standard way. Any help getting a stable template would be greatly appreciated. I've attached what I've been working on. 

WSD_Template_-_01:09:2017.vwx

Edited by John Vancouver

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to organize my stories and layers and levels but I am still getting my second storey wall stuck to the ceiling. I have the top of wall (the simplest I could find) set to ceiling with ceiling set 9' above the second storey and I have the bottom set to finished floor which is zero..... No matter how I set the wall it will not come down. 

I have a (NDA) file where the Walls Top Bound of one Story is of by 2 cm.

Other Elements like Columns that use the same Story Levels are fine.

Must be some voodoo magic.

The only way to workaround is by manually adding a -2 cm top bound height offset

for this Storey's Walls.

So mostly, but not necessarily always, a User/Setting error.

Edited by zoomer