Vectorworks User Interface Overhaul

Thomas Wagensommerer

Question

59a8698308fa3_ScreenShot2017-08-31at3_54_00PM.png.c1a63741b13bf8712fb6fcb296057775.png.137b90e078bea35e4416d16db545828f.png

brown - purple - yellow - blue REALLY?

Looking at screenshots from VW 2018 makes me extremely sad. Seemingly Vectorworks is the last application adhering to the kindergarten color scheme.

A design application must not use colors in the interface!

Look at any self respecting or professional design application and please get rid of those colors in the interface.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Autocad2015_refined_user_interface-742x417.jpg

Edited by Thomas Wagensommerer
  • Like 3

It has been some time since I looked at Windoor but at

that time it looked far superior to US Windows.

German/Austrian/Switzerland (D/A/CH) localization has a

much better Window Door Tools - according to local

Building habits. And Story Level binding.

But I think the coolest and most universal Tools exist

in the Benelux Window Versions, which AFAIK does proper

Window reveals in 3D geometry.

Maybe that is also used in the French localization too or

maybe they have have even more interesting Tools.

I always avoid calling VW INT as INT, as it is so far from any

international habits but so notedly localized US only,

with imperial units, terms for parts, building standards,

libraries (?), prioritizing and general habits.

There was a time some years ago when I was totally sure that

the only reasonable decision is to unite all VW localisazions

now, let users decide which Tools to choose and use.

And that NNA would do this - soon.

But it never happened.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, line-weight said:

Maybe. But then you might expect that it would be in the purview of Vectorworks to provide something at least as good as what can demonstrably be created by a maker with much more limited resources than they themselves have.

Can't disagree with you there. It's well known what I think about the past lack of native window and door tool development.

2 hours ago, line-weight said:

Yes - Windoor is for Australia or NZ I think?

Windoor I know for sure used to support a global market; I received one of their last licences before they closed down support for the global market. Supporting a global market wasn't worth the hassle. The advantage developers of localised plugins have is that they can focus on their local market, in their own language, and refine their plugin to suit the technical nuances of that market.

Vectorworks are developing for the US/UK and international market and I still don't fully understand why these tools have been neglected for so long, but part of the reason, as I understand, is that there are large pieces of the puzzle that need to be put in place—with regard to things like the way walls behave—before various things about the native window and door tools can be modernised. As far as I can understand they're fully aware of this gap and are working hard on it. My guess is that the decisions that lead to this bottle neck were made a very long time ago.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 4

Lately I discussed the difference per country of the window tool with the local reseller. He couldn't tell me much. But in the future an improved window tool will be more of a framework where each region/country can add there region specific code/items. I guess that will make sharing code easier so everyone benefit. 

Edited by MarcelP102
38 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I always avoid calling VW INT as INT, as it is so far from any

international habits but so notedly localized US only,

with imperial units, terms for parts, building standards,

libraries (?), prioritizing and general habits.

Vectorworks inc do actually localise VW for the UK market too.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, MarcelP102 said:

Lately I discussed the difference per country of the window tool with local reseller. He couldn't tell me much. But in the future a improved window tool will me more of a framework where each region/country can add there region specific code/items. I guess that will make sharing code easier so everyone benefit. 

I was seriously thinking about musing that this is how it should work in my previous post. It would make so much more sense to do it this way instead of reinventing the wheel in every country. Glad to hear that might be on the cards.

Edited by Christiaan

Personally, I don't really need high LOD or details in BIM Tools.

So in genereal I am very happy with a "reduced" INT version

of a Software vs more expensive more specialized localized

versions.

Just that I think that VW INT is US - not INT.

But I would prefer the user choice to select the most suitable

of the BIM Tool. So either a united VW for all Version with/by

Workspace customization, or,

the PIO App Store with global access 🙂

Of course, if they plan to :

23 minutes ago, MarcelP102 said:

But in the future an improved window tool will me more of a framework where each region/country can add there region specific code/items.

and just wait for the Wall Tool update, that is ok too.

• Like 1

The window & door (and most other tools) certainly don't seem very localised for the UK market to me - most of the time I have the impression I am using a US-focused product. Especially with windows and doors I'm often guessing what settings actually do because they use building terminology much of which is meaningless to anyone used to UK terminology. This in itself is annoying and confusing.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, line-weight said:

I've seen this given as a reason before - and can understand that it might be why we have to wait for things like reveals in multi layer walls to behave properly - but it's no excuse for failing, for years on end, to fix basic dysfunctions like sills being drawn the wrong way round. It's also not really a plausible excuse for essentially making no improvements *at all* - again for years on end.

Agreed, can't get my head round that one either.

• Like 1
On 6/29/2021 at 8:51 PM, Christiaan said:

Windoor I know for sure used to support a global market; I received one of their last licences before they closed down support for the global market. Supporting a global market wasn't worth the hassle. The advantage developers of localised plugins have is that they can focus on their local market, in their own language, and refine their plugin to suit the technical nuances of that market.

Well - developer of Windoor is now part of global entity that is Vectorworks.

https://blog.vectorworks.net/vectorworks-acquires-longtime-distributor-ozcad

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

Well - developer of Windoor is now part of global entity that is Vectorworks.

https://blog.vectorworks.net/vectorworks-acquires-longtime-distributor-ozcad

Interesting for sure but I wouldn't hold my breath. The press information is very much focussed on VW expanding into Australia and bolstering localisation efforts. It doesn't seem to be anything like the acquisition of PanzerCAD and CameraMatch, which was very much about bringing CameraMatch and Matt into Vectorworks.

• Like 2