Vectorworks User Interface Overhaul

Thomas Wagensommerer

Question

59a8698308fa3_ScreenShot2017-08-31at3_54_00PM.png.c1a63741b13bf8712fb6fcb296057775.png.137b90e078bea35e4416d16db545828f.png

brown - purple - yellow - blue REALLY?

Looking at screenshots from VW 2018 makes me extremely sad. Seemingly Vectorworks is the last application adhering to the kindergarten color scheme.

A design application must not use colors in the interface!

Look at any self respecting or professional design application and please get rid of those colors in the interface.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Autocad2015_refined_user_interface-742x417.jpg

Edited by Thomas Wagensommerer
  • Like 3

Zoomer, Texture seems to be a more common generic term in usage.

I've always understood a shader to be a machine generated texture pattern and a texture map to be an image based texture pattern.

Materials as a concept makes sense but only if you start talking about components of objects and defining their appearance in plan view, 3D views and sections in both linework views and rendered views.  Also their properties in terms of energy analysis, weight, strength, etc.  In Vw.  Isn't that what we tend to do with Classes? Classes are the what in Vw with materials being one of the what classification systems.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, zoomer said:

You mean in a Building Industry Term ?

I was thinking about Software Terms.

In any 3D and even CAD Software I worked with,

Renderworks Textures would be called Materials

(or "Shaders" in the worst case) and edited in a

Material Manager. Image Textures are called

Textures in short.

Not sure if it is needed to separate the technical from visual part

of Materials. Focusing on Visualization aspects, I wouldn't mind

much if my Render Materials would have additional cost and

energos data.

On the other hand, when applying BIM components to PIOs,

I would not need to recreate my Concrete setup each time I add

a component for a new PIO Style.

Well - to me - the intrigue and power of a concept of the idea of "Materials" is that they contain a myriad of information - as you say - price, weight, R-Value...ect - in which a 2D and 3D visual identity is one.  Therefore - it would seem that the 'texture' - as we call them now - would be an 'attribute' of material - one that would be user-defined - along with the other information and maybe behaviors.  

I think you are undercutting an otherwise really great idea.  I think 'Materials" are a new thing - not a reworking of Renderworks Textures.  

• Like 3

I asked for a VW global Material System in VW a few years ago.

I am happy to use one in Bricscad. Archicad has one too.

So when I create a new Composition (VW = Wall/Slab/.. Style)

and add a new Ply (VW = Component),

I set basic Ply rules like (variable!) thickness and just pick a

Building Material from my Library with physical information.

So I can use the same enforced concrete, no matter if will be a

Slab, Wall or whatever Composition.

Such physical Material Setups will also have information for

Layer (VW = Class) and Render Material assignment.

Setup for Render Materials is done from Material Manager,

(VW = via Resource Manager)

similar to any Layer/Block/... Managers from global Drawing Explorer.

(VW = separated by Organization + Resource Manager)

• Like 4

Hi,

Just a 2021 update: how is this topic moving along? I'm looking forward to the day when VW looks, and feels, like a "real" professional software. Even though it's been 4 years since original post, and I've only used VW for about a year, I feel like the UI needs a serious update. What are your thoughts today? 😃

Take care all! 

1 hour ago, MartinBlomberg said:

Hi,

Just a 2021 update: how is this topic moving along? I'm looking forward to the day when VW looks, and feels, like a "real" professional software. Even though it's been 4 years since original post, and I've only used VW for about a year, I feel like the UI needs a serious update. What are your thoughts today? 😃

Take care all! 

Having recently started using VW2021, I do like the "smart options" menu that pops up around the cursor.

Otherwise, most things are just as bad as ever.

• Laugh 1
2 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Having recently started using VW2021, I do like the "smart options" menu that pops up around the cursor.

Hah, yeah, I kinda' agree. I have a history in AutoCAD and the difference is huge. Whenever I open up VW I somewhat feel a bit ashamed of the UI. 

To clarify, I've been using VW for 20 years or so. And have just jumped 3 versions from 2018 to 2021. The lack of any real improvement in UI is disappointing. The "smart options" thing is a definite plus point - but doesn't by itself justify the cost of upgrading. There are not a lot of things that have improved, and as usual a few things that seem to have got worse.

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, line-weight said:

sad, but true.

I was tutoring VWX via zoom last week and my student commented how my screen looked completely different than hers and she was having difficulty following along.  So,  I deactivated Dark Mode...

she exclaimed, “ah, that’s better”.  I recoiled in horror and braced myself for 3 hrs of retina damaging retro styled computing.

I will credit Vectorworks with one amazing “feature” thanks to the redesign...

It has forced me to use keyboard commands and to hide my tool palettes 😉

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jeff prince said:

It has forced me to use keyboard commands and to hide my tool palettes 😉

I've hidden my tool palettes too! 95% of the time I'm using keyboard shortcuts anyways; I only needed the toolsets for the other 5%, but now that's been replaced by Quick Search which has become my favorite 2021 feature. Hiding the toolsets gave me a lot more screen real estate to work with.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I've hidden my tool palettes too! 95% of the time I'm using keyboard shortcuts anyways; I only needed the toolsets for the other 5%, but now that's been replaced by Quick Search which has become my favorite 2021 feature. Hiding the toolsets gave me a lot more screen real estate to work with.

That sounds nice! So, what windows do you have open? Would you mind share a screenshot? Just for inspiration 😃

On 3/10/2021 at 11:16 PM, MartinBlomberg said:

That sounds nice! So, what windows do you have open? Would you mind share a screenshot? Just for inspiration 😃

Here's how it looks as of today (I'm always experimenting with different arrangements, but I'm liking this one). I ended up putting the Navigation Palette in place of the toolsets... I used to have the Nav Palette minimized along the top title title bar and would hover over it to expand it, but now I like that I can glance over to the left and and see Class or Layer visibilities.

palettelayout.thumb.jpg.0921daa5cd165f7a44a5257234562f3b.jpg

FWW - I like having OIP, Nav and tool palettes on all on the same side, so I don't spend time mousing back and forth across the screen - then I keep the Resource browser and a Keynote editor palette hovering near the title bar, so I can open them quickly be hovering the cursor over them, and they automatically close when I scroll away.  Won't work for everyone, but I find this very efficient.

image.thumb.png.710c9b34fd624b055cab6e600b5ed628.png

• Like 1

After seeing the concept videos of @Stephan Moenninghoff In this topic and his work for InteriorCAD (those menu with the icons looks so good, very informative) I really believe this man can/should help bringing Vectorworks UI/UX to next level.

For example Look at his work for the new framed fronts of InteriorCAD (https://youtu.be/7ibekCaDKRM)  I couldn't stop thinking how wonderful this kind of setup would be for the windows and door tool. So we can select complex profiles for the window frames with a simple nice looking menu. 

Edited by MarcelP102
  • Like 1
On 6/12/2021 at 2:45 PM, MarcelP102 said:

After seeing the concept videos of @Stephan Moenninghoff In this topic and his work for InteriorCAD (those menu with the icons looks so good, very informative) I really believe this man can/should help bringing Vectorworks UI/UX to next level.

For example Look at his work for the new framed fronts of InteriorCAD (https://youtu.be/7ibekCaDKRM)  I couldn't stop thinking how wonderful this kind of setup would be for the windows and door tool. So we can select complex profiles for the window frames with a simple nice looking menu. 

It's clear that there are plenty of people out there (including existing VW employees) who could build massively improved tools and UI for Vectorworks.

The issue is that whoever the people are, who ultimately are in charge of strategic decisions at VW, either just don't get it, or have made a commercial decision that they simply don't need to offer us these improvements in any great hurry whatsoever.

It's bizarre because (for example) there are already improved window and door tools out there, that are available only to certain regional distributors. We are never given an explanation as to why they can't be offered to all Vectorworks users - not even as a paid extra. I think there are many of us who would probably pay extra for them, even though they already ought to be part of the basic functionality of the programme, just for the time and pain saved.

I honestly don't understand it. In the past I've wondered if we could somehow crowdfund some improvements rather than waiting for ever for VW to sort things out themselves.

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, line-weight said:

It's bizarre because (for example) there are already improved window and door tools out there, that are available only to certain regional distributors. We are never given an explanation as to why they can't be offered to all Vectorworks users - not even as a paid extra. I think there are many of us who would probably pay extra for them, even though they already ought to be part of the basic functionality of the programme, just for the time and pain saved.

Can I posit a guess that this isn't necessarily within Vectorworks' purview; that the makers of those tools don't necessarily have the resources nor inclination to support a global market for their plugin and would rather stick to their local market?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Can I posit a guess that this isn't necessarily within Vectorworks' purview; that the makers of those tools don't necessarily have the resources nor inclination to support a global market for their plugin and would rather stick to their local market?

Maybe. But then you might expect that it would be in the purview of Vectorworks to provide something at least as good as what can demonstrably be created by a maker with much more limited resources than they themselves have.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, line-weight said:

Maybe. But then you might expect that it would be in the purview of Vectorworks to provide something at least as good as what can demonstrably be created by a maker with much more limited resources than they themselves have.

@line-weight super dry lol

Edited by mjm
clarity
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, line-weight said:

there are already improved window and door tools out there, that are available only to certain regional distributors.

Are we talking WinDoor? Or something else? Be interested to know exactly where the regional versions diverge from the standard door + window tools i.e. how many + which specifically of the shortcomings are resolved

18 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Are we talking WinDoor? Or something else? Be interested to know exactly where the regional versions diverge from the standard door + window tools i.e. how many + which specifically of the shortcomings are resolved

Yes - Windoor is for Australia or NZ I think?

But I think there is also something else again for the German or Austrian market?

There may be others.