Big undo issue.

RussU

Question

Hi everyone.

This is the first time ever this has happened, so I wouldn't know how to replicate it.

I very quickly knocked up a file with existing symbols, just snapping them together, many layers, many classes....

Then I hit the undo button and the file went back to a state that was some 15 minutes before!!!

Redo didn't do any thing, and all the new classes and layers vanished, back to only 2 or three.

It was a new file and I hadn't saved it yet...

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Thomas Wagensommerer said:

This menu has escaped my attention, because it is not a regular command. It is not accessible through the workspace editor! Why?

It appears in all instances where it can function already, where else would you add it?

It appears in all instances where it can function already, where else would you add it?

This is also true for every other menu item.

Why treat this one differently? - Answer: We should not. Consistency is important.

Why do we have the ability to configure menus at all? Shouldn't one huge alphabetical list of menu items be all we need? - Answer: No, for obvious reasons. I, for instance, would move this command upwards in the menu, to make it faster to reach.

I would also add a second instance of this menu command in the main menu, right below the other "Align/Distribute..." menu item. This is also for consistency reasons.

By the way, having two almost identical menu items "Align/Distribute" and "Align/Distribute..." which do different things is real bad user interface design. Especially if one of them behaves differently than every other menu item, and is also hidden from view most of the time. Why isn't it greyed out?

By the same logic, the text formatting menus would disappear, if there is no text selected. And no - saving space isn't a good argument either.  Moving targets and disappearing items are bad! 

I would also want to add keyboard shortcuts.

Edited by Thomas Wagensommerer
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you want to see any specific changes, make sure to file troubleshooting or wishlist items. This is the way you can directly affect development. Do not assume that tangents in general discussion threads will automatically get to the right place, we have specific feedback channels.

HI Thomas,

This is true :

2 hours ago, JimW said:

If you want to see any specific changes, make sure to file troubleshooting or wishlist items. This is the way you can directly affect development. Do not assume that tangents in general discussion threads will automatically get to the right place, we have specific feedback channels.

Developers need official change/wish requests.

Otherwise the person in charge may not even get the ok to spend time on this.

And sending such a request does not mean that you express to agree with the

VW UI ;) 

• Like 1

Thomas, I am Manuel, the developer of VectorBits plugins.

I have received a message from Tolu, writing to me about the problem with the Quick Align tool and the undo system. I was aware of the problem back on october and I immediately updated all of my tools, but unfortunately I missed to upload the Quick Align tool to my site. I didn't receive any direct complaints from the users so I wasn't aware of this problem until Tolu wrote to me.

I am sorry for all the headaches this issue has caused you and other users.

Now I have uploaded the correct version of the Quick Align tool in case you want to give it a try.

sorry again.

• Like 1