Big undo issue.

RussU

Question

Hi everyone.

This is the first time ever this has happened, so I wouldn't know how to replicate it.

I very quickly knocked up a file with existing symbols, just snapping them together, many layers, many classes....

Then I hit the undo button and the file went back to a state that was some 15 minutes before!!!

Redo didn't do any thing, and all the new classes and layers vanished, back to only 2 or three.

It was a new file and I hadn't saved it yet...

Has anyone else experienced this?

This was a huge amount of steps, without the ability to redo.

Like I said though, first time I've ever come across it.

Interestingly, all of the symbols dragged in have vanished from the RM too... seems like the whole thing reverted to a position where it might have tried an autosave (but with no saved file it didn't do that...)

I might be wrong there though

Edited by RussU
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have not experienced this specifically with those actions, but I have seen an occasional issue where instead of Undo-ing, the Undo command triggers a Revert to Saved or similarly reverts to the last autosave file or sometimes reverting to the very start of the Undo history.

This was first hunted down as an issue when users activated the Document Setup command, but I have seen it have other causes. There are a few reports of similar activity in the beta test, where using the Eyedropper tool with "Pick Up Sets Defaults" is checked can cause this, this one specifically has been marked to be fixed, but let me know if you did not use the eyedropper at all and still encountered this problem.

You have my commiserations. I have been bitten by not saving at the first prompt many times. Never again. Sometimes VWX plays some very nasty tricks that would make many folk reach for another brand. I've been in it for the long haul and couldn't really imagine using anything else, but this kind of upset would really put beginners off.

No I didn't use the eyedropper, but I made heavy use of the visability tool. set to layers, hide.

I'm not too alarmed as it's a rare issue... but knowing it's there is a little worry.

After you save a file, you then get the vwbackup folder... is there any facility for untitled/unsaved docs? (I'm not expecting there to be, but worth the ask)

Note to self.... save file before working.

I am experiencing the same thing!  I have called VW about this and they said they have not heard about this... It keeps happening to me and it goes back many steps.  You can check the back up and it may not have gone back as many steps.. I was just on with them about it and I think if more people call about it then maybe they will do something.. I am finding the whole program acting a bit weird these days...  I know when I use the select tool and grab a bunch of objects and then want to go back a step it goes back to the last operation or view but does not deselect the tool.

Has anyone found that the info palette is not always showing the correct info for the selected object? I may have to upsweep an object and re sweep it to get the info palette to work again...

Call Tech Support... They had me throw out my old 2017 preferences or library...Don't remember which and then start the program again.. Maybe with updated templates and it seems to have helped the situation so far...  Dillan helped me with this from Tech support so maybe try calling and doing that...

20 minutes ago, DLDINYC said:

Call Tech Support... They had me throw out my old 2017 preferences or library...Don't remember which and then start the program again.. Maybe with updated templates and it seems to have helped the situation so far...  Dillan helped me with this from Tech support so maybe try calling and doing that...

Thanks DLDINYC
Spoke to UK tech support who have logged the issue and also had me delete the 2017 preferences/library from my machine. They said not to delete VW 2017 though incase I need to revert back to using it if this issue carries on. 

I just got a case in where autosave seems to be part of the problem. The client saves to desktop. Autosave goes to desktop also. She describes the following:

"Sometimes, autosave stops working for some 45 minutes or thereabouts. I notice this always when suddenly, tools stop working properly: instead of typing text, I draw a circle. Shortly afterwards, my screen shows me the drawing's state of 45 minutes ago."

Not expecting any answers but maybe this can help find the cause of the behaviour. Thanks!

Edited by Stephan Moenninghoff
8 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

I think I've just discovered this issue continues in Vectorworks 2018.

Made worse by autosave not having saved for over an hour even though it's set to save every 5 operations.

There is a major Undo-reverting-to-saved issue that is expected to be fixed in sp3, which should go public very soon.

9 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

I think I've just discovered this issue continues in Vectorworks 2018.

Made worse by autosave not having saved for over an hour even though it's set to save every 5 operations.

Engineering reached out to me and has ask if you could please send in your user logs:

You can message them to me directly as attachments.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JimW said:

There is a major Undo-reverting-to-saved issue that is expected to be fixed in sp3, which should go public very soon.

So it's time for a happy SP3 dance? :)

But it does beg the question what actually gets solved, the undo issue or the autosave issue or both? So far I have not had issues with autosave though very occasionally I did have the undo issue.

We are using SP 3 now, and I just lost a lot of work.

"Undo" is still broken!!! This is core functionality and I expect it to work.

I am not going to mention 100 other things that do not work. From my past experience with the "quality" of this software, I never expected them to work anyway. 

October - November - December - January - February - March. It's halftime on our way to the next update, and I am slowly loosing my patience. Can somebody explain why we are paying for "updates"?

Hi Thomas

Have you spoken with Tech Support regarding the undo issue? Mine doesn't do it anymore, and hasn't for some time. They suggested I delete the 2017 preferences/library from my machine. They said not to delete VW 2017 though incase I need to revert back to using it if this issue carries on. 

It could be worth giving them a call. I feel your pain, nothing worse than losing work! 

I worked with Thomas offline and we've identified the problem. The undo problem (in his case) is caused by the VBTool_QuickAlign plugin. This is a 3rd party plugin. This plugin has problems that can only be rectified by the maker of the plugin. Another known plugin that can cause this problem is the VBMove plugin. I recommend you uninstall these plugins until they have been updated to work correctly with Vectorworks. 

If you have experienced (or are still experiencing) this problem, please make sure you set your "Error reporting" preference in Vectorworks Preferences to "Send crash details and verbose usage pattern". In the event that this happens again, please send me or @JimW your user logs, so we can quickly identify the problem. 

Your user logs can be retrieved by following JimW's post here:

Thanks,

Tolu

Vectorworks Inc.

The developer of the VB plugins (VectorBits) says he has updated the plugins. If you are using any of the VectorBits plugin, please make sure you've downloaded the latest version. The old versions are known to cause undo problems.

Disclaimer: I have not verified that these plugins are fully functional with Vectorworks. Vectorworks is not affiliated with VectorBits.

Best Regards,

Tolu F

Vectorworks Inc.

Tolu pointed out to me, that there is a contextual menu "Align/Distribute". This menu command will become available when you right-click with two or more objects selected. I did'nt know about this command. - Thank you very much Tolu!

This menu has escaped my attention, because it is not a regular command. It is not accessible through the workspace editor! Why?

That menu is already really useful, and should make third party plugins like VB Align obsolete.

However, there is a drawback. You cannot assign shortcuts to the items using the workspace editor. Mac OS keyboard shortcuts don't work either. So there is a wish, I would politely ask from the programmers. Please add the ability to add shortcuts to the contextual "Align/Distribute" command.