Truck Pack Workflow

gdraper

Hi All!

So im looking to improve my workflow for creating Truck Packs for Touring Shows. Where i need to lay out all the cases and gear before hand. 

There are multiple parts to the system i would like to setup

1. Case Creation - Quick and efficient way to create a inventory of various size of cases in different qtys. Ideally i could make a spreadsheet with all my cases with their Dims/Qty and then Generate those cases within VW

2. Case Labeling - I need to be able to Label every case with whats in. Once again in my head i think it would be great if i could import a spreadsheet and in the process of creating the various cases at their correct size it also updates the record attached to that specific symbol so that it generates a label that shows on all four sides and the top of the case.

3. Easy way to Handle Stacking.  This one is probably a pipe dream....but some way to extremely quickly say hey don't let these two symbols occupy the same 3d space but put this one on top of the other taking into account the other cases size of course.

Alot of reason for this is when designing a truck pack i often find myself redoing it multiple times to optimize for Loading In and Out. Currently this just takes me to Long. On small shows under 4 trucks is fine but when working on bigger shows with 5, 10, 50, 100 trucks these time savings become huge.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

I have created a tool to help, and emphasize the word "help", with truck pack planning.  I will describe what I've done, but first some questions.

"1. Case Creation - Quick and efficient way to create a inventory of various size of cases in different qtys. Ideally i could make a spreadsheet with all my cases with their Dims/Qty and then Generate those cases within VW"

Could each case or other object be represented with a 3D Box?  You provide length, width, and height, and VW creates a box with those dimensions.

"2. Case Labeling - I need to be able to Label every case with whats in. Once again in my head i think it would be great if i could import a spreadsheet and in the process of creating the various cases at their correct size it also updates the record attached to that specific symbol so that it generates a label that shows on all four sides and the top of the case."

Could the printing of labels be handled by another program like Excel or Filemaker, and then have VW import the data to label the boxes it creates?

"3. Easy way to Handle Stacking.  This one is probably a pipe dream....but some way to extremely quickly say hey don't let these two symbols occupy the same 3d space but put this one on top of the other taking into account the other cases size of course."

This, for me, is indeed a pipe dream.  While VW can determine if objects occupy the same space, it is very difficult for it to decide which box should go next and where.  Just trying to decide which box is next let alone deciding if it should go on top of, or next to, a box, and which box should be the one it is next to or on top of.  Maybe there are some mathematicians out there that could do it, but its going to be tough.  Then you have to figure in weight.  The best tetris solution might not load the truck properly when considering weight distribution.  Even then you haven't yet considered the stage set up and stage strike order issues.

Here's the challenge to get something done by a computer.  Make a list of steps to be followed to complete the task, and a computer can probably implement the steps.  When I have been presented with a problem by a colleague, and told them to make a list of steps.  I get back a list of 10 steps.  Unfortunately, each one of those steps has 20 steps hidden inside that are necessary to execute the one listed step.  It is unwise to predict the future; computers can do amazing things, but I think it is going to be quite a while before the CAD program packs the truck.

Here is what I have done/made.
I have created a set of VS objects and commands.

1. A truck box object
    This object is hybrid, both 2D and 3D, and has the following fields in the Object Info Palette (OIP)
    Length
    Width
    Height
    Weight
    Weight units, pounds or kilograms
    Group
    Case
    Name
    Row
    Truck Side
    Stack Level
    Truck
    Note 1
    Note 2
    Note 3
    Text Rotation
    Text Size
    Tip on Side (check box)
    Tip on End (check box)
The box will be displayed different if the either or both of the last 2 boxes are checked
Most of the fields can be included in the text displayed on the box object.

2. A truck trailer outline object
    This object is hybrid, both 2D and 3D, and has the following fields in the OIP
    Truck ID
    Length
    Width
    Height
    Has dance floor (platform at the front end of the trailer)
        Platform Height
        Platform Length
    Has Over Cab Space
        Length over cab
        Height Above Floor
    Note
Both the 2D and 3D displays have rulers along the side and front of the trailer image

There are the following commands:
1. Create Boxes from File
2. Create Boxes from Worksheet
The commands above allow you to create either a tab delimited file (from Excel or Filemaker) or a VW worksheet which lists the boxes you desire to pack; each row describes a box.  As long as the length, width, and height columns have value, the box can be created by the command.  All the boxes are placed centered on the same point.  You drag them away to pack the truck trailer outline, or use the commands below to help organize the boxes/

3. Select Boxes by Field Value
4. Select Boxes by Len
5. Select Boxes By Width
6. Select Boxes By Height
7. Sort by Group, Case, or Name
The above commands sort all the boxes and redisplay them based on the criteria chosen.

8. Show weight of selected.
    This command will total the weight field values of the selected boxes and tell you what it is.

These are all part of AutoPlot Tools which has a fully functional trial period.  I would like to be of more help, especially if you have questions about the above, but, unfortunately, I am heading to Montana and Glacier Nat. Park in 2 days, and I will have spotty internet service.  Feel free to ask any questions, but don't expect timely answers until after the 18th.

Best, 

Sam

Samuel L. Jones
Developer of AutoPlot Tools for SpotLight
E-mail: sjones@autoplotvw.com

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was really keen on creating 3D truck packs but have now abandoned that approach in favor of simple plan views. I layout three iterations of a trailer and denote them as "first row", "second row" and third row. It's much quicker and I have found that crews generally understand it more quickly. 

When I was doing 3D views, I would render the entire truck in right isometric but then I would create three additional drawing that dealt with the truck broken up into thirds. Then each row was "exploded" so that everyone could see exactly how things packed. That turned into a ton of work on large shows so I find the plan view to be clear in a single drawing and much faster to produce. 

All of that said, I would like to see what Sam has developed. 

Sorry to be late to the party.  I was on vacation in Canada.

What I developed is part of AutoPlot Tools for Spotlight, the VW 2017 version only, which you can download at

www.autoplotvw.com.  Go to the downloads section.

There is a fully functional trial period, so you don't have to purchase anything ahead of trying them out.  There is no documentation, so feel free to write or call if you have questions.  If you want, feel free to ask questions before you download anything.

I agree about working in 2D.  The tools allow you to work in 2D only if you want.

Awesome work! Going to be playing with this in the next couple of weeks once the start of this tour settles down. For now i actually ended up using a web app called EasyCargo3D. Its ok but doesn't provide the visual control i would like but it is super fast and easy to put a pack together. 

On 01/09/2017 at 0:14 AM, gdraper said:

So im looking to improve my workflow for creating Truck Packs for Touring Shows. Where i need to lay out all the cases and gear before hand. 

Have you checked out Dom C's RectPack node in Marionette?

There are 2 layers in the file. On the 'part input' layer you draw the size and quantities of the boxes that need packing. 

On the 'Plug in" layer in the OIP set the size of the space and then the type of sorting etc you want to use. It's partially in German but mostly understandable. It looks like you can create and name your own layers and have the Marionette object work to specific layers in the pull down in the OIP.  However it is 2D only....

Dom C is a Marionette genius!

Cheers,

Peter

PS it doesn't work on symbols only primitives it seems.

Edited by Peter Neufeld
Doesn't work with symbols
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I realized that Easy Cargo does not allow you to make schematics of the load, e.g. moving items on top of other items to the side of the plane view.  one could print multiple views, but those are difficult to hand off compared with one schematic.  Back to my truck packing commands.  Maybe I'll use Easy Cargo to suggest packing arrangements, but double entry will discourage that.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...