Send to C4d wishes

grant_PD

Question

1. All mirrored symbols not export as separate symbols.  Currently, if I have a chair and instances of that chair, and the same chair instances mirrored (as is often the case in say...a ballroom), the import into C4d will have two identically named groups inside the symbols group and two sets of render instances referencing the same thing.  So one must go through the symbol group and delete half of the groups and then reassign the render instances to the remaining group.  Very tedious.  

2. All symbols not show up in C4D stacked on top of each other.  This is a function of VW assigning the hidden Null container of a symbol to 0,0 I believe.  But it makes the symbol group in C4D very cluttered.  We have no control over the symbols' position in VW (where do they actually reside?), we only see the instance.  

3. All symbols, lights, cameras, textures, etc be placed in their own discrete C4D layers, or at least the option to do so.  

8 answers to this question

To 1.

I never mirror anything anymore.

(At least when Exchange is needed)

Since we had so much pain with it between Microstation and 3DSMax in the old days.

I kept this behavior and never had problems again (with this).

Not sure if I get "stacked" right.

In VW I am used to group all resources in folders.

If I had that many Symbols in my Projects or would need to edit them in C4D,

I would start to group the Symbols in C4D with Locators too, like in VW.

If it means that most parts are mostly stacked into Locator groups and you have to

open many of these before being able to edit something - I agree.

On 8/31/2017 at 9:28 AM, grant_PD said:

1. All mirrored symbols not export as separate symbols.  Currently, if I have a chair and instances of that chair, and the same chair instances mirrored (as is often the case in say...a ballroom), the import into C4d will have two identically named groups inside the symbols group and two sets of render instances referencing the same thing.  So one must go through the symbol group and delete half of the groups and then reassign the render instances to the remaining group.  Very tedious.  

2. All symbols not show up in C4D stacked on top of each other.  This is a function of VW assigning the hidden Null container of a symbol to 0,0 I believe.  But it makes the symbol group in C4D very cluttered.  We have no control over the symbols' position in VW (where do they actually reside?), we only see the instance.  

3. All symbols, lights, cameras, textures, etc be placed in their own discrete C4D layers, or at least the option to do so.  

1. Agree 1000%.  This is really annoying and kills me with seating layouts and lighting fixtures.  There is also something weird when distributing symbols with Move By Points tool - lots of times I won't get instances, but raw geometry for each symbol (LED Video wall tiles).

2.  I hate this system so much it generally keeps me from using 2017 and sticking with 2016.  It used to be that the master symbol was at the top of the null and the instances were grouped together with it.  The hidden symbol folder with everything at 0,0,0 is just awful.  There is no way to edit a symbol in relation to other geometry in the scene since they are all out of context.  I make hybrid symbols of everything, so this overall workflow kills anything practical for me.  Zoomer and I have talked about this before.  He likes it - I hate it...a lot.

3. I don't do lights, cameras, or textures in VW - I do it all in Cinema, but I think this is a good request for those who do.

1 hour ago, EAlexander said:

There is no way to edit a symbol in relation to other geometry in the scene since they are all out of context.

He likes it - I hate it...a lot.

Ok, I understand.

As you do, unfortunately, for several reasons, I (re-)do all my Cameras/Lights/Materials in C4D from scratch.

So - I also do all Symbol (or geometry) Changes - from within VW.

(As this Exchange mostly works quite reliably for me since VW 2017)

Edited by zoomer
On 1.9.2017 at 9:53 PM, EAlexander said:

2.  I hate this system so much it generally keeps me from using 2017 and sticking with 2016.  It used to be that the master symbol was at the top of the null and the instances were grouped together with it.  The hidden symbol folder with everything at 0,0,0 is just awful.  There is no way to edit a symbol in relation to other geometry in the scene since they are all out of context.  I make hybrid symbols of everything, so this overall workflow kills anything practical for me.  Zoomer and I have talked about this before.  He likes it - I hate it...a lot.

To recapitulate,

All your Geometry resides in Hybrid Symbols (the way PIOs work for a proper 2D representation on (top) plans)

You can't achieve the same by the use of a Hybrid Object.

You mostly use these Symbols only one time at a file.

You reuse these Symbols in other Projects.

You work in Entertainment Industry with Spotlight.

I use Symbols where Geometry happens repeatedly in projects.

So I would never have the option to edit a Symbol in place in C4D. Even in older Exchange versions.

Because it is very unlikely that the Symbols Original happens to be located at that place where I need the

context.

This is more a weakness of C4D - or better an advantage of VW - that you can edit a Symbol from any of its

instances in place. (pretty cool btw)

But it worked for you as your one time use of Symbols, means the "Instance" IS the editable Original.

And you need an option to export Symbols - which contain Lights - as standard C4D Instances and NOT

"Render Instances",

like I would need for Symbols - which contain a Grass Shader.

Edited by zoomer

I try to avoid editing symbols in C4D as it breaks the one way street of information: VW--->C4D.  But, the inherent geometry from VW often times needs to be tweaked for aesthetic purposes, which is why we are in C4D in the first place.  Some examples:

Replacing out chairs with higher polygon ones

Adding dressing to tables, or bookshelves, or bars. 

Editing soft objects (drape, cloth, etc) at the polygonal level.  

I have only used lights sparingly in the import.  But when I had the time, I found that even just placing lights in the right position was faster and easier in VW (Hang...) and pointing them in the rough direction (Rough Focus) than in C4D.  I then went back through all of the lights and got them to be what I wanted in C4D. Timesaver to some degree.  

Textures I generally replace immediately in C4D.  Someone in this forum had a workflow for having textures named the same that could just get replaced with the C4D versions...Zoomer was that you?  I'm coming around on textures again in VW, but not for rendering per se.  I use them for drafting purposes.