symbol > look at working plane

I was working on a symbol and wanted to use the 'set working plane' tool.

I am able to set the working plane inside the symbol, but not able to use the 'look at working plane' button.

This only happens when I'm on a sheet layer and open the symbol from the resource browser.

Is there a specific reason this is not possible?

Edited by Bas Vellekoop
1 hour ago, Bas Vellekoop said:

I am able to set the working plane inside the symbol, but not able to use the 'look at working plane' button.

This only happens when I'm on a sheet layer and open the symbol from the resource browser.

Its because you're editing a hybrid or 3d symbol from a sheet layer which is 2d. I have no idea why it works this way but the solution is to switch to the design layers and try again. Lots of commands are disabled when you enter a symbol from the sheet layers including the view dropdown for standard views. I think I've wish listed or bug submitted this before. Editing a symbol should behave the same everywhere.

Kevin

I wasn't opening it from a sheet layer. However, if you do use the Select Working Plane function (on a sheet layer) it works fine and although the Look at Working Plane button in the toolbar is greyed out, my number keypad which I use to select views seems to allow me to rotate to a top view of the selected working plane, which in a round about way is what you asked for!! It seems to me that shouldn't happen on a sheet layer and that is the bug!

I agree with Kevin, hybrid or 3d symbols should at least have the option to open in a design layer environment when you decide to edit symbol from the resource browser when in a sheet layer. Sounds complicated, and is certainly tricky to explain!!

2 hours ago, JimW said:

I found this issue when coming from a different direction a little while ago, initially it came back as WAD but I'm debating that with some folks currently.

This problem has existed for as long as I can remember (likely from when sheet layers were introduced). Having the symbol edit mode behave differently depending upon whether you enter it from a design layer or a sheet layer is bad interface design. I vote for BAD (broken as designed) rather than WAD :). It is also very confusing for new users who think the interface is suddenly broken. Its going to get even more confusing with multi view...... 

Kevin