Off Topic - Changing Administrator Names

This is a little off topic - but I bet someone out there knows the answer.

Running Mac OS 10.3.3. I am trying to chaange the Administrator name on a couple of computers. It appears that I can change the password - but not the name - without a complete reinstall of the Mac OS.

Is there a way to change the name without a complete reinstall?

Sam

Sam,

I don't think you can change the Administrator's name, but what you can do is create a new user, and give the new user Administrator access too. Then, if you log on as the new user, you can delete the old user (Administrator).

I believe this will delete the user, but you will still see the Home folder for the deleted user. The only way to truely get that user's name off the computer is to log on as "Root"

There is a way to do this, but I have only seen it done, and not done it myself.

What you need to do is enable the "Root" user, then log off the computer, then log back on as "Root". Once logged on as the "Root user" you can change ANYTHING on you Mac.

The danger in this, however, is that that you can seriously mess up your mac if you alter or delete the wrong file.

Maybe Apple's web site would have more information on loggin on as Root, but I would not try it unless you felt comfortable with that sort of thing.

Good Luck,

Peter

the first idea is the best

create a new user and give them admin rights.

there should be a check box at the bottom of the users info

when you log back in as the new user

you should be able to go in and turn off admin rights for the orginal user if you want to.

a good book is the "mac os x hacks" from o'reilly's

it details all sorts of things like how to change user names