Teaser Tuesday - Resource Manager 2.0

Just now, JimW said:

That would be the CEO!

I doubt they'll be open to polling about it, the debates internally on color for the version are some of the most heated I've seen. I am slightly colorblind (mild Red/Green type, the super common one) so I stay 100% out of those arguments and just use the color picker to steal the exact color when I need to use it for something else. One of the VERY few arguments I stay out of. ;)

I bet.  It seems like one of those seemingly inconsequential things that everybody will have an oddly strong opinion on.  I mean I briefly used a program to switch the icon on my windows start menu - so that I could pick my own color.

Untitled-1.jpg.69c6470a8052ce991e7dc74b35b81504.jpg

My tastes are more desaturated than the brass at VW - but otherwise - great minds think alike. 

Slightly off topic but haven't managed to hear any positive feedback on this.

I find it really unnatural that one can only create new resources in the Resource manager

Surely it is very natural to want to create a new hatch when browsing hatches in the Attributes for instance? 

Please can we have this ability? 

You know it makes sense!! 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, thecadman said:

I find it really unnatural that one can only create new resources in the Resource manager

Surely it is very natural to want to create a new hatch when browsing hatches in the Attributes for instance? 

Agreed! Textures, Line Types, everything...

50 minutes ago, thecadman said:

Probably 70% of the resources we create are duplicates to replace the current selection.

Would very much be in favour of creating resources at the selection point. 

12 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

Who gets to make that call?

I want a user poll for next year.

Why does the V always take precedence...? Give the W a go... lets have some fun...  I tend to put the V icon next to Word, to get the VW.

It looks nice next to Indesign, to make Vid,

And next to Adobe Animate it makes Van!

I did have Adobe Character animator, MS access and VW in a row to spell "Chav" in nice rainbow colours...

Sigh.... I wish I had more friends and the phone rang more often.... Far too much time on my hands...

Brain1.jpg

Edited by RussU
Sense of humour failure
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, JimW said:

Added already! 

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 3.54.00 PM.png

I think I explained myself not so well. We can indeed open library files from the resource folder (already in vw2017). But once they are opened, we can't switch the active file to another already opened file from within the resource browser.

For example:

I have 2 drawings opened (customer POOR and WILD). WILD is now the active file so I see the drawing of this customer in my main window. But when I right click on POOR I can only choose "Show in explorer" and "Add selected file to Favorites". I cannot make this file the active one.

59a8f49eda617_2017-09-0107_47_57-ResourceManager.png.8bbdd70c74f9c980eea7193520be1a99.png

So, the ability to switch the active file (which drawing is seen in the main window) from within the resource browser is a function I've missed a couple of times already in VW2017. :-)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 hours ago, thecadman said:

Not off topic, the Resource Selector ui that's being integrated into many tools is the mini version of the Manager, I have often wanted to duplicate and create slight variants of textures when editing class attributes and I'm 100% on board.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, thecadman said:

So wherever we are choosing a resource - especially attributes we should have the option to make a new one, duplicate or edit - yes?

That is what I would want, yes. Currently, even in 2018, the resource selector only allows you to do just that; select. As an enhancement I would want to be able to edit, rearrange, duplicate, any function that was also available in the Resource Manager itself.

6 hours ago, Bertf said:

So, the ability to switch the active file (which drawing is seen in the main window) from within the resource browser is a function I've missed a couple of times already in VW2017. :-)

Misunderstood you, apologies. Honestly I already thought THAT was possible too, but then realized it was not and I completely agree that it should be possible. Anything that can (unobtrusively) save a number of clicks.

• Like 1