objects invisible in top/plan, visible in top-why?

When you are in top view (hit "5" on the keypad), your hybrid objects lose their 2d fills and all 3d objects are seen in wireframe (unless you choose a different rendering mode). When you switch to top/plan (hit "ctrl+5")your extruded railing may be covered by a hybrid object, such as a wall or a stairs, in the foreground.

Put your railing in a layer all by itself, and switch between top and top/plan. You should see no change, provided that you are in wireframe rendering mode. If your railing is round, however, it won't be like a 2d representation, it will have extra lines. To get an object to have both a 2d and 3d reprentation, you have to create a hybrid symbol.

it is a group that is part of a symbol.

the project is a 5 unit rowhouse of three stories, so each floor of each rowhouse is a symbol, the three interior units are the same, and the two end units are the same, thus there are 6 symbols to make 15 floor plans. the second and third floors of the interior units have identical balcony/guardrails.

It sounds like you have a hybrid symbol that has no definition for the 2d aspect. Or, that the 2d definition of the symbol is a member of a group that is invisible, or the objects are really really small.

I think Katie has nailed it. If you switch to a 2d view on a 3d SYMBOL that has no 2d view (something you have to create w/ 2d objects), it will disappear.

Pick out your symbol from the resources list, click "Edit 2d" and create lines or polygons that represent exactly how you want your 2d representation to look. There are various ways to ensure that the 2d object "registers" with the 3d object, i.e., appears in the same spot. I do that by first chosing "Edit 3d," creating my 2d representation over the 3d object, then cut it and "Paste in place" into the 2d edit space.

[ 05-04-2004, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think you may have slightly confused the issue there.

If you have a symbol with only 3-D components (spheres, extrudes, nurbs surfaces, etc.), those objects will be drawn for the symbol regardless of plan/non-plan. Likewise, if you have a symbol with only 2-D components (rectangles, circles, polylines, etc.), it will draw those objects regardless of plan/non-plan view.

If you have a symbol with both 2-D and 3-D objects, or with hybrid objects (walls, for example), then in plan view only the 2-D and hybrid objects will be drawn, while in non-plan views only the 3-D and hybrid objects will be drawn.

You can use the numeric keypad to switch views. It's set out similar to a joystick.

2 - front

6 - right

4 - left

8 - rear

1 - left iso

3 - right iso

7 - lower left iso

9 - lower right iso

0 - top plan

5 top

You can email the file to me and I'll take a look at it to see what might be causing the problem.

katie@nemetschek.net

Please include a description of the problem in the body of the email.