What's your preferred Cloud?

PVA - Admin

What's your preferred Cloud?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What cloud storage options would you like to be able to use with Vectorworks?

• Dropbox
    • Google Drive
    • Box
    • iCloud
    • OneDrive
    • Mega
    • SpiderOak
    • NextCloud
    • pCloud
    • IDrive
    • NAS-related solution (Synology, SoftNAS etc)
    • MyDrive.ch
    • Resilio Sync
    • Egnyte

Question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'd like to help get a clearer picture of what other cloud solutions that users would like support for. Please vote for any that apply to you.

This vote is a combination of whether you want to use that service for Cloud Services, Project Sharing or any other Vectorworks related purpose. I will include the services that we already support in some way on this list as well for a more accurate picture of overall preference. If you do not see your choice represented, let me know and I will add it to the vote.

• Like 1

24 answers to this question

2 hours ago, MrPilot said:

Had a lot of issues with Dropbox, besides their prohibitive pricing (at least last time I looked)... so working with success on NextCloud for a while now. Maybe you should also add OwnCloud to the list (NextCloud is a branch thereof).

Are you self-hosting or using nextcloud.com?

On 12/5/2022 at 9:01 AM, MrPilot said:

Bump.

Any chance of Owncloud / Nextcloud getting added? 🙂

My understanding is that Nextcloud doesn't support delta sync (the ability to sync just the changes of a file rather than the whole file), which I understand is needed for VW Project Sharing support. And I'm not sure that Nextcloud will ever support delta sync, because their developers really don't seem very interested.

However, ownCloud and I think ownCloud Infinite Scale both support delta sync. And ownCloud Infinite Scale was officially released last week

I was playing around with cloud hosting for about a year or so, jumping around all the cloud hosting services using their free trial periods. This was made very easy with the help of cloudron.io by the way, which I highly recommend. We used Nextcloud for a bit but we found file-sync a bit slow, there was no selective sync, and no delta sync (so therefore no chance of working with VW Project Sharing). And when I ran out of trial periods to use we transitioned to Resilio, which I find very robust and I think is probably the most secure architecture, because we don't have to store files on anybody's servers (it uses Bittorrent).

I was looking forward to trying ownCloud Infinite Scale but Cloudron.io wouldn't support it until it was officially released. Which it is now, so I'm curious. If Cloudron add it to their app store I'll be keen to give it a whirl. I'm curious what would be needed for VW to support it. If you're curious about Cloudron you can keep an eye on their support for ownCloud Infinite Scale here.

Edited by Christiaan

I am not that deep into all the cloud services in respect to the ability to use ps.

But the most important thing in our company is, that any service that uses cloud accessibilty has to be TISAX compliant.

And as far as i know only OneDrive and NextCloud are close to it, but don´t meet the requirements to use it...

One thing to bear in mind is that ownCloud Infinite Scale is quite bare bones (for now?). They're focused on enterprise level file sharing, security, stability, etc. 

We rely on Resilio so I haven't tried ownCloud Infinite Scale.

You could do a 14 day trial of their hosted version to see if there are any features from Nextcloud that you miss:
https://owncloud.com/get-started/

• Like 1