Camera Viewport Fullscreen Help

This is probably a stupid question.  But sometimes (seemingly randomly) when I double click a camera on top/plan view I get the attached,   rather than the full screen view from the camera,  When it happens it seems as though all the cameras do it,   what on earth am I missing?  When I add a new camera it also looks like this,  which leads me to believe I inadvertently switched some view setting with a keyboard shortcut.  Thanks!

-Wes

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 11.03.22 AM.png

Edited by Wes Burrows
1 minute ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Ha looking from a camera view is the only time I would ever want "cropped perspective". It should be linked to the camera object so I can accurately compose a camera view the first time.

Kevin

I'm crossing my fingers that this and other camera-related issues might be addressed in 2018. So many people use cameras and they could be soooooo much better.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Ha looking from a camera view is the only time I would ever want "cropped perspective". It should be linked to the camera object so I can accurately compose a camera view the first time.

Kevin

Oh also - for this very reason I mapped Pat's awesome Perspective Crop Toggle script to one of the buttons on my 3Dconnexion mouse. It works like a charm and lets me effortlessly switch back and forth.

I want full screen when designing/modeling, and cropped when setting up camera views.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

and cropped when setting up camera views.

I even don't want that.

(BTW outside of VW there exist far better examples on how to control cameras)

For me the crop is always in any arbitrary thumbnail size.

And when clicking in blank space to deselect anything, in the past I could

at least "fit view" the crop. In VW 2017 it will always destroy my camera

perspective.

Together with the buggy behavior of de/activating cameras, I have a bunch

of them destroyed in seconds.

Even linked in VPs they tend destroy their data arbitrarily when I try to do changes

in camera mode. For me cameras are completely unusable - which is quite pity

because being large part of my job.

But I stopped crying about buggy camera system years ago.

There are currently far worse things existentially annoying me.

Edited by zoomer
3 hours ago, zoomer said:

I even don't want that.

(BTW outside of VW there exist far better examples on how to control cameras)

My only other experience with cameras is in C4D where they are much more intuitive. I only use the crop for composing a view and for seeing the aspect ratio. Ideally when you edit a camera it would fill the editor viewport frame and indicate via shading the safe (rendered) area within the camera.

3 hours ago, zoomer said:

Even linked in VPs they tend destroy their data arbitrarily when I try to do changes

in camera mode. For me cameras are completely unusable - which is quite pity

because being large part of my job.

I've had a lot of problems with duplicating viewports with cameras. My workflow involves duplicating a lot of viewports for speed but camera viewports won't let go of their original settings and get broken easily.

In general, I use cameras to view the model in perspective. I wish I could work in perspective but until the 3d view is unlinked philosophically from the orthographic views in Vectorworks its impossible. Since I shift back and forth between views a lot while working I don't want to reset to Top/Plan between every view change and then reactivate perspective each time I shift into 3d. I need my orthographic views to be flat projections.

Kevin

20 hours ago, zoomer said:

My problem is that "cropped perspective"

which I never ever want,

since VW 2017 very often activates itself.

My experience has been the same.  It seems to activate itself.   I can find rhyme or reason to it.

UPDATE:

It seems as though if I'm looking through camera with "Cropped Perspective" deactivated,  I quickly try to change views without thinking,   say hitting #6 on my numpad (instead of going to a top/plan view first),  and realizing what I did hit cmd+z to undo it.   After you undo your view change it seems to auto-activate.    Is this a bug or the intended behavior?   I don't recall it doing this in 2016.

Edited by Wes Burrows
Updated my findings.
3 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I've had a lot of problems with duplicating viewports with cameras. My workflow involves duplicating a lot of viewports for speed but camera viewports won't let go of their original settings and get broken easily.

Yes, I have one project where I use duplicated VP with hidden camera

for different versions.

But cameras went corrupt also before duplication.