Copying a selected area of a line drawing

Hold Alt/Opt to select anything the selection marquee/lasso touches, rather than only the things completely encompassed by the selection.

Of course this doesn't "crop" any objects down in the way a screenshot only captures a rectangular portion of your drawing. This will grab entire objects which you can then paste into your new design layer.

After doing so, one approach might be using the Clip Tool 599efd7a0b645_ScreenShot2017-08-24at9_22_05AM.png.3e71f4272fd474ce57df4b8659b47f7f.png in the second mode 599efd870c0c2_ScreenShot2017-08-24at9_22_27AM.png.aa40601cbecc4485e07a607c769aa3d8.png, then drawing a marquee over what you want to keep. This will delete anything outside of the box.

• Like 1

Hi,  The closest analogy I can think of is like when you take a screenshot, you drag a square over the screen (I'm taliking Mac OSX), what you get then is a nice neat clip of everything that is within the marqueee- see the attached image. That's great but it's a rasterised .PNG and can't be edited, not to scale etc. imagine now that that screenshot was Vectorworks lines (vectors), then you could edit it in VW. I think it may be possible in a 3D view but it would be so useful in 2D as you could then scale it up, add colour or other detail. to show variations of one particular detail

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 18.11.57.png

What you need to do is create a viewport. These are exact representations of the original geometry and are a very powerful concept in VWX. These can show details of the original CAD model at any scale you need. If you don't know about these yet, then the best thing to do would be to spend some time going through the help sections. 

Also with a viewport, you can overlay things in the Annotations portion of the Viewport, especially for slight variations. This might be your best bet. Or have different classes displayed in different viewports to show the variations.

Depending what you're doing, Classes Overrides can be helpful if the variations mainly involve changes in attributes (line type, color, fill, etc). They let you adjust the attributes of a class in that viewport only, and any objects 'listening' to that class will take on those visual overrides. Not sure how well this plays with wall components though... And again, not sure exactly what types of variations you're going for.

11 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Also with a viewport, you can overlay things in the Annotations portion of the Viewport, especially for slight variations. This might be your best bet. Or have different classes displayed in different viewports to show the variations.

Depending what you're doing, Classes Overrides can be helpful if the variations mainly involve changes in attributes (line type, color, fill, etc). They let you adjust the attributes of a class in that viewport only, and any objects 'listening' to that class will take on those visual overrides. Not sure how well this plays with wall components though... And again, not sure exactly what types of variations you're going for.

Yes I know all about viewports, I use them many times each day they are great but they are not what I'm after as modifying the viewport changes the design layer. What I want is a duplicate of just part of the design layer that can be edited without messing up the viewport design layer geometry. It seems like a relatively simple thing to ask for but maybe it just can't be done. 

7 minutes ago, Cadplan Architecture said:

as modifying the viewport changes the design layer

You cannot change the design layer geometry within a viewport.... You can add to it using an Annotation layer within a viewport. You can add a crop to a viewport to show just a portion of the whole model and that will scale according to what you enter into the Viewport's object info palette. 

Are you sure you mean viewports??

37 minutes ago, markdd said:

You cannot change the design layer geometry within a viewport.... You can add to it using an Annotation layer within a viewport. You can add a crop to a viewport to show just a portion of the whole model and that will scale according to what you enter into the Viewport's object info palette. 

Are you sure you mean viewports??

I'm with you but the design layer does get changed in the viewport,  annotations write over the design layer view but because of that it doesn't do what I want to do as it leaves the design layer visible. I want something totally detached from the existing geometry. In essence I need a duplicate detail, true I can duplicate the deatail on the design layer and thehack it about by trimming and chopping and trimming, but it's  not really a good way of doing things and time consuming, As I said I'm familiar with VPs but they don't offer the solution.