LED Screen Tool: Curved Screens

Andy Broomell

Question

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Andy Broomell said:

Mapping a single image texture across the modules.

I'm sure you know this already Andy, but if you add all your extrudes together as a Solid Addition, VWX should map an image texture across all the extrudes as 1 item. Otherwise I agree entirely , your suggestions would be a really good addition to the tool.

Mark

Edited by markdd
13 minutes ago, markdd said:

I'm sure you know this already Andy, but if you add all your extrudes together as a Solid Addition, VWX should map an image texture across all the extrudes as 1 item.

True, which gets us by for now :).

One thing that's nice about the LED Screen tool (and other PIOs) is that it automatically stretches the texture as you change the size of your screen. It's a major time saver and lets you focus on designing rather than texture mapping (which as we know is seldom fast and easy in Vectorworks).

One other difference between the LED Screen tool and a Solid Addition is that the LED Screen tool allows you to still see the individual modules in wireframe, whereas a Solid Addition just looks like one solid mass. And in Hidden Line if I set my smoothing angle to 0° I can see the individual modules as well. This is helpful for construction drawings and drawings sent to video vendors.

599dd1e5ac2e4_ScreenShot2017-08-23at12_04_56PM.png.b9e6e09b97fd3db641790de0930e9dd0.png

Yep yep yep.  Also, labelling for this tool (and drape, which is its cousin via Landru Design) needs to be more flexible.  These labels need to be rotatable text objects, so that they can align better with other text objects in plan.  We need more ability to link Vendor specific information to it as well. 

On 8/23/2017 at 7:44 PM, markdd said:

I'm sure you know this already Andy, but if you add all your extrudes together as a Solid Addition, VWX should map an image texture across all the extrudes as 1 item. Otherwise I agree entirely , your suggestions would be a really good addition to the tool.

Mark

@markdd I have been down a path of plenty of trial and error and lots of searching the internet over past 24hrs. I am trying to show a stage with a continuous LED wall as is the preference of a bunch of festivals now. I can create the 3D shape no problem. The problem comes when I try to apply a single image across it. The image I have created is the right dims, but this is not the problem. The problem is that VWX sees each section of the extrude as a separate surface. I have tried extracting surfaces, converting to generic solids. Extracting nurbs curves from the edges and creating loft surfaces from a pair of those. I then found this post and thought *eureka* SOLID ADDITION because I always trust your posts to have neat, simple answers! But alas, VWX still sees the solid addition as having seperate surfaces where it switches from flat surface to curved. Any thoughts to help a weary drafter out!