LED Screen Tool: Curved Screens

Andy Broomell

Question

It would be great if the LED Screen tool had a way to create curved screens, such as this:

599da4752a318_ScreenShot2017-08-23at8_47_42AM.png.127dfec79ffb8e471824d0b5d2b68d4a.png

Currently you can create flat screens with the LED Screen tool:

599da7681f64f_ScreenShot2017-08-23at9_03_22AM.png.c5d26558b070499e5f321acef2349037.png

Adding the ability to create curved screens could be accomplished by:

• Adding a parameter to specify an arc diameter

599dac6e7c72e_ScreenShot2017-08-23at9_24_54AM.png.1b07ad2d7249050549af1b032f6aa375.png

• Adding a parameter to specify an angle between each column of modules (a common approach since there's often specific curving block hardware available). For example, I could say I want 7.5° between each column of my 500mmx500mm modules.

599da907501e7_ScreenShot2017-08-23at9_10_32AM.png.a1ac84e8182bbfb4b74e08fe51be26be.png

While I can model curved screens with simple extrudes like I did above, the LED Screen tool has many advantages, such as:

• Ability to extract data into worksheets. Flat screens and curved screens are all the same PIO.
  • Built-in text labels.
  • Automatic 2D representation with 2D solid fill.
  • Mapping a single image texture across the modules.
  • Automatic calculation of number of tiles within specified screen size.
  • Most importantly... I can change from 500mm square tiles to 480mm square tiles and not have to start the whole process from scratch. Manually distributing the shapes accurately along the curve is a laborious process. If the LED Screen tool could do it all for me I would be a very happy camper.
  • Like 2

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Andy Broomell said:

Mapping a single image texture across the modules.

I'm sure you know this already Andy, but if you add all your extrudes together as a Solid Addition, VWX should map an image texture across all the extrudes as 1 item. Otherwise I agree entirely , your suggestions would be a really good addition to the tool.

Mark

Edited by markdd
13 minutes ago, markdd said:

I'm sure you know this already Andy, but if you add all your extrudes together as a Solid Addition, VWX should map an image texture across all the extrudes as 1 item.

True, which gets us by for now :).

One thing that's nice about the LED Screen tool (and other PIOs) is that it automatically stretches the texture as you change the size of your screen. It's a major time saver and lets you focus on designing rather than texture mapping (which as we know is seldom fast and easy in Vectorworks).

One other difference between the LED Screen tool and a Solid Addition is that the LED Screen tool allows you to still see the individual modules in wireframe, whereas a Solid Addition just looks like one solid mass. And in Hidden Line if I set my smoothing angle to 0° I can see the individual modules as well. This is helpful for construction drawings and drawings sent to video vendors.

599dd1e5ac2e4_ScreenShot2017-08-23at12_04_56PM.png.b9e6e09b97fd3db641790de0930e9dd0.png

Yep yep yep.  Also, labelling for this tool (and drape, which is its cousin via Landru Design) needs to be more flexible.  These labels need to be rotatable text objects, so that they can align better with other text objects in plan.  We need more ability to link Vendor specific information to it as well.