Invisible Imported Image

Vectorworks appears to have a problem importing PICT files as Pictures when they are over a certain size. I've been unable to establish this size but I do know that a PICT which is 4100 pixels wide will not be visible when imported whereas one that is 4000 will be.

This occurs when performing the operation on the PC platform but not on the Mac i.e. the image imports and is visible. However, upon opening the Document on the PC, the image is no longer visible.

Is this a known issue? Obviously scaling images once they're imported will compensate for the necessary reduction but it's not ideal.

Cheers,

Duffy

It looks like this is a bug. The pixel limit on a PC is 4096.

I have this buglisted asg ID B039505.

This should not happen if the pict contains only vector data such as squares, ovals, rectangles, etc.

[ 04-19-2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Coincidently, I ran into this problem for the first time this last weekend. I scanned in a topographical site survey map from a D size print. I ended up having to cut the image file into three parts using Photo Shop Elements and importing each section into a Vector Works 10.5.1 file. A little nudge here and there worked out OK. I was surprised to see a size limitation error message:

"The width of the image exceeds OS limitations. Do you want to reduce the size to fit?"

The message did not make sense to me.

[ 04-20-2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Peter N ]

I get this message, on a Mac, when i try to render something with the bitmap tool at 300 dpi or higher. If my selection is too big, it'll put that stupid message up (The width of the image exceeds OS limitations). I usually end up batch rendering, anyway. (wish I could batch render saved views, but that's a different story)

I have another image related problem though. When I try to import an image file (or create an image fill) in VW 10.5.1 on Panther (all updates) the open dialog is slow as mollasses and when I browse through several folders, VectorWorks will invariably crash. I was suspecting a QuickTime 6.5 incompatibility, but didn't see anything here, so I suppose my machine is a little out of whack?

G4733, 896Mb RAM, only VectorWorks running, problem may be related to having classic running, it seems.

[ 04-20-2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Kees W ]