section perspective techniques?

jnr

I've probably asked this before but does anyone have a good workflow for creative custom section perspectives? Attached is an image from the interweb.  I'd like to start with the clip cube to set view and cut, then be able to render. Ideally setting a viewport that can then render would be ideal. As I understand it, section viewport from clip cube only gets you a 2-D section viewport.  Ideas?

-J

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 10.54.25 AM.png

Take a look here which might get you in the right direction:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/49228-vw-marketing-images-should-include-a-how-to-post/#comment-249054

Essentially, just create a Design Layer Section Viewport with the appropriate cut, then create a Sheet Layer Viewport looking at that Design Layer Section Viewport from the angle you want. You should then be able to apply any render style to the Sheet Layer Viewport.

• Like 1

Being perpetually brain dead, did not realize you could do a design layer section viewport. Assuming you are suggesting using a RW camera for the sheet layer viewport to look at the section viewport? Will give it a whirl. 

If I can master that, might try to do one with camera match. Several examples out there with a photo overlayed by a 2-D section detail. 

thanks andy.

-J 

15 minutes ago, jnr said:

Assuming you are suggesting using a RW camera for the sheet layer viewport to look at the section viewport?

You can use a camera, yes, or you can just use the flyover tool to find a view you like. You can switch between orthogonal and perspective under the View<Projection menu. (Or if you use the Walkthrough tool it'll automatically jump you into perspective).

23 minutes ago, Johan de Groot • LYVR said:

Done it this way. With open GL the section will appear black, with RW it appears transparent.

Do you have the Section Style class turned on? It should look like the screenshot in the post above. (The attributes of that class will control what the sectioned area looks like.)

18 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

You can use a camera, yes, or you can just use the flyover tool to find a view you like. You can switch between orthogonal and perspective under the View<Projection menu. (Or if you use the Walkthrough tool it'll automatically jump you into perspective).

Do you have the Section Style class turned on? It should look like the screenshot in the post above. (The attributes of that class will control what the sectioned area looks like.)

I meant a perspective view instead of Iso actually 

• 5 years later...
On 8/21/2017 at 4:43 PM, Andy Broomell said:

Take a look here which might get you in the right direction:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/49228-vw-marketing-images-should-include-a-how-to-post/#comment-249054

Essentially, just create a Design Layer Section Viewport with the appropriate cut, then create a Sheet Layer Viewport looking at that Design Layer Section Viewport from the angle you want. You should then be able to apply any render style to the Sheet Layer Viewport.

Hi

Would you happen to have a step by step on this, as I really can not get it to work.

Mike