Issue w Visibility - Missing "Eye" Icon?

ayerkraft

Question

Hi all,

I'm learning Vectorworks, and am having trouble locating the visibility toggles/"eye" icon that are, according to these tutorials, supposed to appear under the "Visibility" column in the "Organization" tab. This is a problem in both the class and layer categories. I have a Visibility column, but it's not subdivided into 3 columns as it should be (according to these tutorials), and clicking around in the visibility column does nothing. I've tried right/left clicking, selecting the "visibility" header, changing the class or later.

Screenshot attached.

I am still learning the software, and I am running a trial version of Vectorworks 2017. I wouldn't think the latter would have this effect, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm at a loss!

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 9.59.23 AM (2).png

7 answers to this question

Thanks for these responses.

@Jacob@tangably.com, should I be able to toggle that eye icon (the one you've indicated, on the right side of the screen) by clicking or doubleclicking? Because I'm not able to (but maybe that function is restricted to the organization window I first referenced?).

I'm still having trouble, but as I've gone through these tutorials I've discovered a few more small issues. For example, when I choose a command from the main dropdown menus, sometimes the dialogue boxes will pop up without text. (The dialogue boxes aren't blank--they include text field, check boxes, bubbles, etc.--just no text.)

I'll poke around the community board to see whether anyone else is having compatibility issues between the trial software and a MacBook Pro running El Capitan.

@ayerkraft, you will undoubtedly have the best experience with your software if you keep it up to date.

That includes:

your operating system

and Vectorworks

Current

MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

Vectorworks 2017 Service Pack 4

How to do this:

MacOS 

1.click the apple in the upper left corner and select check for updates.

2. Click the button that says "Software Update"

Vectorworks

1. open Vectorworks

2. in the "vectorworks" menu click check for updates

3. If you are up to date Vectorworks will tell you so.

4. Otherwise you may need to install up to Service Pack 4 (currently). 

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.27.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.30.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.28.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.35.22 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I highly recommend a reinstallation from scratch. You can use the "Uninstall" application inside the Vectorworks 2017 folder to do this, then run the installation again. Update to the latest service pack as described above, reboot (Not normally needed, but helps to be thorough with odd things like this) and then check the visibility columns again.

One of those columns should always display an icon regardless of trial, educational or pro license status. There should be no differences there.

• Like 1