Make a Machine Bolt with a Truss Head and a Cross Slot (Phillips Head)

I was going to try to model one from the Fastener tool, but didn't have the measurements.  But remembered that McMaster Carr has 3d models of almost everything on the site. Click the blue product number to get to the data and models for any product. Several model formats.  I tried a couple.

Here's a 1/4 -20x 1"

I added the colors

-B

TrussHead CrossSlot.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
Signature
1 hour ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

Nice. I was hoping to have the ability within VW. I will live with the slot. I don't think it will make much difference in my drawing unless I blew it up BIG. And if I do need it big I will use these.

Forgot to add the vwx file with the imports.

Yes, the vwx fastener choices are not very well aligned with current field practice. For example, where are the "bugle head" sheet rock screws with "grabber" threads that everyone uses for everything even though these screws are too brittle or weak for lots of uses?  Slots? They were pretty amazing as 15th century custom made products and as 18th century mass produced tech, but nowadays, not optimal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwdriver

Anyway, I totally agree, the easiest path is to just use the vwx slotted Fastener PIO.  A hybrid workflow would be cut to the the heads off the various sizes of screws on McMaster site (or the vwx sheet metal screws) and mate the heads with the vwx 3d Fastener>Set Screw object, probably as blue symbols (insert as group).  Object management would be terrible, trying to match up correct head size for each increment of the screws. Also, they aren't symbols after insertion, so a bunch of them in the drawing would bog down the render. At least the lengths could be adjusted.

-B

Oh, well. Wish list!

-B

TrussHead.vwx