imported DWG is crashing Vectorworks.

Fosterbryce8

Question

Hi all, 

I imported a DWG from my Scenic Designer and after fifteen minutes of breaking up the stage and theatre, Vectorworks started crashing every five minutes. I wanted to make his ground plan 3D, but at this rate, I won't be able to make one 3D object before it crashes.  

Anyone have any solutions? Can I do anything besides draw over his GP and Elevations in V.W lines and delete the lines from the imported DWG? 

3 answers to this question

It's probably the MacBook Air.

Even if you get one with every possible option, the MacBook Air is really not up to running VW.  

To run VW you really need a processor of 2 Ghz or faster and a dedicated graphics card.  And at least 1GB (but preferably 2 or 4 GB) of VRAM.  Most MacBook Airs (MacBooks Air?) have a 1.8 Ghz processor and none of them have a dedicated graphics card.

It's not uncommon with dwgs to import tens or hundreds of thousands of lines and arcs.  That could easily be enough to overwhelm a MacBook Air.

I've also seen this same thing with underpowered Windows laptops.  A brand new, bottom of the line Dell will also struggle to run VW with anything but 2D.

If you can break the project up into smaller pieces - immediately deleting parts of the dwg you don't need for the current piece - you might be able to build 3D VW objects and then copy/pasted them into a fresh VW document.