Joining two site models

Hello all

Just wondering if anyone has come across this, I'm wondering if you can join two seperate site models.

The top one was formed with stake objects the bottom from contour lines. When I tried to initially create one model with these two different items (stake and 3d poly) it would not work. I have attached the information I working with. As  a workaround I could use the spot elevations with the contours?

Thanks

site model join.png

Site model join1.jpg

A workaround similar to your spot elevations.  Use the Duplicate Along Path command with a stake object (or a 3d locus) and each contour of the lower model.Then Copy/Paste in Place the stakes into the Site Model Source of the one that started with stakes.   Choose a duplication interval or number of dupes that gives you a usable Site Model. 

Not sure why these need to be combined, but would it accomplish anything useful to select the 2 site models and Add Solids?

Anyway, I think adding source data points to the  one with stakes is the way to go.

-B

I am a bit wondering whyVW does not create a DTM from 3D Lines and 3D Points.

As I learned from Videos that it is a common method to work with points in a DTM

made from lines to do some modifications and corrections.

And as far as I understood DTM will use Line's Vertices only anyway and ignores

form-giving lines when meshing though.

Edited by zoomer
6 hours ago, zoomer said:

I am a bit wondering whyVW does not create a DTM from 3D Lines and 3D Points.

3d polylines and 3d vertices (and stake objects) are all valid site model source data.  They can be applied in any combination as data to form the existing status of the site model and/or as modifying data.

And, yes, as you suggest, if 3d polylines are included in the source data, the site model is generated as sort of a mesh object created from vertices of the 3d polys (plus any stakes or 3d loci).  The form-giving curves between the poly vertices are ignored.

-B

Not sure why the added stakes/contours did not work for J Wallace to combine the two data sets in one Site Model. Maybe the crop needs to be extended to include the new area? or Site Model min/max elevations exclude the new data?

I am able to place 3d polys, stakes and 3d loci as source data for same model. These 3 object types can be mixed in any combination for either existing or proposed site model data.  My work flow is to right click the Site Model>Edit Source Data>and Paste in Place the source data from the other site model.  Seems to work just fine.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
more source data
5 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Not sure why the added stakes/contours did not work for J Wallace to combine the two data sets in one Site Model. Maybe the crop needs to be extended to include the new area? or Site Model min/max elevations exclude the new data?

Thanks @Benson Shawthat worked very well. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks again.

Strange behavior from the site model when your trying to create a model using both stake objects and 3d contours...definitely doesn't like dealing with both at one time. Thanks to Benson and @zoomer

Edited by J. Wallace

@j. wallace - just curious. What process was successful?   Combine the source data ? Then adjust the crop & min/max elevations? 

And what are the weird symptoms? My tests are on small site model. Yours looks rather complex. There might be some limit to count of combined data objects or to hardware trying to do the math. Or maybe stakes are too complex so 3D loci would be better. 

Anyway, glad that something worked

-B

• Like 1

Hey, Jamie - I wonder what the difference is in your files trying to make site model from several data types?  I am able to make a new site model with source data of 3 types.  

Process:

•Placed some 3d contours (red).

•Replace one contour with group of 3d loci at same z (blue). (Duplicate Along Path, then delete the 3d poly)

•Replace another contour with a group of stakes at same z (black).

•Added a group of 3d loci between the contours (pink).

I selected the groups and the 3d poly objects, then AEC>Terrain>Create Site Model.  This worked to generate a site model.

Also successful with the groups ungrouped.

Not sure what would happen with a larger data set, or what is happening with your tests. Maybe a stray 2d object got in there with the mixed object types?

File v2017 with the source data attached. If anyone wants to try it, select all and then Create Site Model.

-B

MixedDataSiteModel.vwx

3dPolysStakes3dLoci.png

11 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Not sure what would happen with a larger data set, or what is happening with your tests. Maybe a stray 2d object got in there with the mixed object types?

Good idea. Sounds plausible.

So worth a try to magic stick select by object, 3D Polys and Points.

Invert Selection to look what other objects have been there.

@jwallace - I think I made this work in your file, or maybe not. Amended file is renamed and attached (42.6mb! if too big I will DropBox it).  Process:

1. Duplicate Layer Site to create Site-2
  2. I switched to Top/Plan, so defeated the plan rotation.  Don't remember the rotation setting. Sorry about that.
  3. Enter in turn Source Data for each of the two site models. In each edit space, Select All, Exit, Paste In Place on layer Site-2.
  4. Delete both site models on layer Site-2.
  5. This leaves a copy on Site-2 of all the source data from both original site models. Orig layer Site is intact.
  6. Working in Site-2, Select all. Create Site Model. (command location varies in different module workspaces)
  7. Result in my test is a tiny, cropped site model excluding most of the source data, kinda centered on the lower contour data set.
  8. Edit Site Model Crop. Delete the crop. Exit.
  9. Result is a full sized site model encompassing all the data -stakes and contours. But contour interval does not match models on Layer Site.
  10. Enter OIP Site Model Settings. Change Major/Minor contours to match original models on Layer Site.
  11. I also increased the elevation min & max, but that was unnecessary.  The data points were all in the automatic range.
  12. Now the Site 2 drawing is very similar to Site.
  13. The contours at z=15 are dissimilar, but I think that's because some of that area was hidden between the two original site models and the data did not interact.

Comments:

• Not sure why the crop appeared during Site Model Creation on layer Site-2. It's a strange, narrow shape.
  • Not sure why the contour interval changed. Maybe vwx has a default setting.
  • Hard to say if this new, combo site model represents the terrain any better than the two separate site models.  Seems likely, but it would be nice to have some survey data from the blank area.

OK always more for me to learn!

-B

site_model_sample-B1.vwx

• Like 1