Strange working plane behaviour within a symbol

markdd

Question

10 answers to this question

Does this happen with all symbols in all drawings? Describe more if possible. Are you editing the symbol by selecting it in the Resource Manager? or by editing a symbol placed on a Design Layer? or editing the definition when a Sheet Layer is the active layer?

I can't reproduce that behavior. Editing the symbol in the Resource Manager, or one that is placed in a Design Layer or visible in a Sheet Layer (this limits the view options), tried with the symbol definition plane and temporary working planes established via the Working Plane tool (eg the top face of an extrude).  My new circle, rectangle, or other object did not revert to the Symbol Definition plane, nor did the centers of the new objects lock to the symbol insertion point or to a z axis projection of symbol insertion point.

Also try to track it down with some usual steps - restart system and vwx, make and edit a similar new symbol in a new file close to the drawing origin, paste the problem symbol at center of a new drawing & try the edit.  And/or post a vwx file that contains the problem symbol and behaves as shown in your videos.

-B

I'm seeing some weird behaviour. Not quite the same as Mark's but everything I draw defaults to the ground plane of the symbol even when I set the working plane to the top surface of my extrude. But the problem disappears after the second time you select a working plane within the symbol.

So the workflow where I can reproduce the problem is -

- enter into a 3d symbol to edit it.

- immediately select the Set Working Plane Tool (second mode - Planar Face Mode)

- click on a surface to select a working plane. EDIT: Click to place a working plane. Its seems like if you click anywhere on along the Z axis above or below the symbol origin anything you draw will default to the Z=0 plane.

- try drawing a piece of 2d geometry.

- the problem will go away if I use the Set Working Plane Tool to set another working plane. It doesn't seem to repeat unless I exit the symbol and reenter the edit mode.

Kevin

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 8.23.29 AM.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Change notes about repeatable behaviour.

I'm sure not seeing any of this.  If I save a new symbol, say the target (all layer plane objects) plus a cube extrusion with the symbol insertion point at center of target, then establish a new working plane on any of the cube faces, then any new 2d objects manifest on the working plane as expected.  In my tests, no problems if:

• cube (and any new temp working plane) is centered on the symbol insertion or is located anywhere else.

•the new working plane is parallel to layer plane and new working plane z axis centered on/over/under the drawing z axis.

•the new working plane is not parallel to the layer plane. eg on other cube faces

•the symbol contains only the cube (deleted the target layer plane objects)

Tried to follow Kevin's workflow exactly, and still nothing of behavior shown. I'm using the Planar Face mode of Working Plane tool (second mode) to make the new plane with a single click.

-B

WorkingPlaneInSymbol.png

Interesting. I started again from scratch in a fresh file and can easily reproduce the problem. I wonder if its specific to the extrude with the geometry of a circle in a square. Here's my file.

If I double click on the symbol to edit it, directly place the working plane using the upper snap point of the extrude that's directly above the origin, any planar object I draw is drawn on the base plane of the symbol.

Kevin

599a30a7746c5_ScreenShot2017-08-20at5_54_47PM.png.45716eb3689a8532f4fc18cb9bb3d150.png

Symbol Edit Issue.vwx

OK, seeing the reversion to layer plane in Kevin's file, and now I'm really miffed.

I activated the Working Plane Palette and saved several new working planes with origins at increments above the 000 layer plane origin. File attached with amended name.

Drawing 2d circles with center on projection over the extrude corner @ layer plane origin produces, um, different results on the different working planes.

Circle reverts(?) to layer plane if working plane origin z is about 5.4" or below.  If the working plane origin is 5.45" or above, the new objects stay on the working plane. I altered the extrude value in each test to match the working plane z. It makes the snap easy, but results are same if extrude stays at 4" thick.

Also, I noted that usually a hover action on extrude edges (esp the layer plane edges) prior to first click to establish the circle center generates an extension line to the working plane. That's expected. The working planes with lower z values show the extension, but the circle ends up on the layer plane. grrrrr.

Just a thought, I'm still on SP3.  Wonder if that makes any difference.  I'll update soon anyway, but wanted to mention.

-B

Symbol Edit Issue_B1.vwx

I've bug submitted what I'm seeing. It seems fairly consistent in my file. I've tried it during a couple of different sessions, recreated the scenario in a fresh file and restarted VW and my machine. If either of you are able to reproduce what you're seeing consistently I would encourage you to Bug Submit as well. I linked to this thread in my submission.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Thanks Jim! (I'm surprised you're on the forum.... you seem like an eclipse watcher to me :). I'd be out there myself if I didn't have an 18 month old who should probably stay inside).

Kevin

I have a timer counting down to my left as we speak! I have an innate love of shiny things, so I never miss an opportunity to stare directly into a ball of glowing fusion.

• Like 1