Restore Palette Positions

Bruce Kieffer

Question

9 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, Hans-Olav said:

I think you can reselect your workspace from the tools menu, to restore the settings.

That does not work because any change to the workspace is immediately saved to the workspace. So If I accidentally close the OIP, it is gone in my active workspace. I will try Kevin's suggestion next time. Thanks.

My understanding is that there is no Restore Palette Positions option. Effectively, the Save Palette Positions is primarily there to force things to save in case there is a crash.

You are right, when you change the workspace or when you do a normal quit of VW, the palette positions are saved automatically. So if you mess up the palette positions, your only option is to force quite VW. Then when you reopen VW, the palettes will be back to the previous saved state.

I hope that I am wrong about this and the @JimW will correct me in the morning.

14 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

My understanding is that there is no Restore Palette Positions option. Effectively, the Save Palette Positions is primarily there to force things to save in case there is a crash.

You are right, when you change the workspace or when you do a normal quit of VW, the palette positions are saved automatically. So if you mess up the palette positions, your only option is to force quite VW. Then when you reopen VW, the palettes will be back to the previous saved state.

I hope that I am wrong about this and the @JimW will correct me in the morning.

This is what I see.

If I close VW in my 2 screen workspace and reopen it with one screen then my 2 screen layout is scrambled. I can go any other workspace just fine, but my 2 screen is not fine. I would support a wish item for this.

1 hour ago, RickR said:

If I close VW in my 2 screen workspace and reopen it with one screen then my 2 screen layout is scrambled. I can go any other workspace just fine, but my 2 screen is not fine. I would support a wish item for this.

I think this has been wished for many times. Rather than waiting for someone else to wish it, go the the Wish forum and add it yourself so we can vote it up.

The best work around for this is to put you workspace folder somewhere accessible (maybe a shortcut on the desktop) and make backup copies of your multi-screen workspaces. That way when you open VW with the wrong workspace you can simply change workspaces and replace the scrambled one with the backup.

Or just continue to be lazy like me and just deal with move palettes all the time. ;-)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

The best work around for this is to put you workspace folder somewhere accessible (maybe a shortcut on the desktop) and make backup copies of your multi-screen workspaces. That way when you open VW with the wrong workspace you can simply change workspaces and replace the scrambled one with the backup.

I have tried this in the past. It does not work on a Mac if the replaced workspace name is the same as the scrambled one. I know it makes no sense, but it is that way unless something has changed recently. I tried many times to restore a workspace from a Time Machine backup with no luck. I replace it, the scrambleness (not a word!) remains.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

This is not something I would leave to Time Machine.

Get palettes scrambled.

Switch to palette that is correct for the working environment.

Quit VW.

Replace scrambled workspace with backup.

Restart VW.

Next time you are in environment needing the other workspace, open VW and switch to it.

It should work just fine on Mac. When I am good enough to remember to do this it works fine for me.