all geometry disappears from file after closing file

EmielT

Question

I'm working in VW 2017 (SP4) on a small house extension. I have a master file with all plans and sections and reference this drawing to specific drawings like the door types and stair drawings. In the file I draw the specific pans, sections etc. and create layout in which I do the texts and dimensions. All looks normal when I save the file. Now for the second time this week I've saved a drawing, opened it the next day and the drawing is empty except for the reference file and the layouts with all its call outs, text and dim lines. So all geometry drawn in the design layer is 'gone', doesn't show in the design layer, nor in the layouts with viewports. All layers are visible, all classes are visible both in the 'modelspace'  as in the viewports. The odd thing is that in the preview of the file (space bar on a mac) it does show my geometry but if I open the file it's gone. There is a error message when opening the file 'one or more layer links have been removed from the referenced layer named "", layer links are not supported on referenced layers'. Odd thing is that whatever is deleted from the file was drawn directly in the drawing and was not in a linked layer or referenced file. I've attached the backup-file perhaps somebody could take a look at this, as you'll see the file preview will show a stair, which disappears once the drawing is opened.

5163_24_200_STAIRS-Backup-20170817095306.vwx

7 answers to this question

On which Layer (and Classes) did you draw your geometry ?

I also don't find any geometry beside the DL Viewports

(behaving a bit strange ? Because I do not have the referenced file ?)

and the text/dimensions in your SL viewports annotation space.

If I delete the reference file and let also delete its objects,

after saving the file looks (nearly) empty.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Thank you for your reply zoomer,

All was drawn in lLayer PROPOSED2 and Class 24 stairs/ramps.

Do you see stairs in the preview of the file? That is what used to be in the file, and as soon as I open it it's gone.

I 've attached the original ref file (23.5mb) and a cleaned up version of the ref file (17mb). The problem is that objects drawn in the file disappear from the file once saved and re-opened. The only thing I can think of that something is wrong with the ref file, which I'm cleaning up now. VW might delete layers or objects once I try to re-open and accidentally delete my newly drawn objects as well. I'd really like to find out what causes this since it's the second time this happens to me with 2 different files.

5163_02_100_proposed.vwx

5163_02_100_proposed.vwx

When I try to activate that Layer, VW warns me if I want to make a referenced Layer to an active Layer.

I think it is not good to touch those referenced Layers or use them for own geometry.

Maybe that was not your intention and it got corrupt and just thinks it is a referenced Layer,

or PROPOSED (without 2) was really a referenced Layer and you made a Duplicate,

which kept its referenced state (?)

• Like 1

OK, I think I understand. You're saying that I drew geometry in Layer PROPOSED which is (also) a referenced layer and when I try to reopen the file through some cause, VW deletes all geometry in that layer except the referenced stuff. It would be better to not draw anything in referenced layers and keep that in completely separated layers. Which makes sense I think. Thanks for your input!

That sounds plausible somehow.

Not sure if, when it is that way,

it is good to propose those pitfalls to the users without any warning.

(Maybe that is meant to be included in the warning when trying to activate

a referenced layer)

Another thing I realized was that beside your DL Viewports, the same geometry

was duplicated in your file as locked objects (on another Layer ?).

Not sure if that was intended or another problem.