Elevation Dimensions

Thanks Mike! I tried this already, but the functionality is really limited. In the end all I really need is a triangle with text over it (see image) and the option of black/white, which does not seem to be an option.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 12.58.31.png

Edited by kyo_ny

kyo_ny that needs to be a separate tool.  You should Wish List it.

There used to be a Vectorbits tool like that but it is no longer on their website.  You can create your own using a symbol and a record.  The file below has a Page Based Symbol with an attached Record to give you what you want.  You enter the Height through the Data Tab of the OIP.  The symbol is page based so it is the same visual size on layers irrespective of scale.  If you need to edit the symbol do it while you are in a 1:1 scale Layer (a Sheet Layer for example) so you can use real size units and text pts.

Jim, there are several variations that need to be added to the Elevation Benchmark tool.  You should also wish list that .

Height Marker Symbol v2017.vwx

Mike - Yes, I've sometimes done similar things for my own versions of these 'simple' tools so my drawings have a consistent or particular style for different presentation purpose. Take the North Piont

On 17/08/2017 at 1:10 AM, mike m oz said:

You enter the Height through the Data Tab of the OIP

This is good, but there's no automatic element to the z readout - which I have to say is the one and only nice thing about the Elevation Benchmark Tool, especially if you are placing a few on the drawing and then make minor tweeks to it later to keep up with elevation height changes (Wouldn't a parametric connection to an element be good?).

And this whole thread touches on any designer's wish list - I like the tool, but I'd like my own graphic/display/style attached to it. After all, Vectorworks allows so much of the interface to be modified to make it 'your own' (workspaces etc.) that it seems a shame these simple tools (I assume legacy) don't have a bit more flair, or access 'under the hood' to be creative.

To this end, it would be really good if you could simply 'enter' the created object and change the boring iso/uk graphic similar to changing the 2d elements of a symbol. I might like a smiley face rather than an arrow!

Or....

I'm thinking someone with marionette skills (and that certainly isn't me atm) could produce a nifty little insertion point that 'knows' where it is in the z plane (although having said that, why not make one that could be defined in xy or z) Users could create their own symbol for their preferred graphic and embed the 2d or 3d locus (so as to be invisible) at the correct read-point. The text style etc. can still be changed via the text tool, but the display would be accurately showing elevation.

Someones going to tell me it exists (aren't they @Marissa Farrell!!!!)

10+ years back our state Archicad distributor produced a tool like this that would automatically adjust to height changes and it had an option to display the result in brick coursing (with the brick coursing height being user definable).  At the time I recall being envious and wishing that Vw was that nimble.

• Like 1

Woah...now your talking. That would actually be a very useful bit of kit.

If it had x and y capabilities it could also be used to set-out brickwork co-ordination on plans.

21 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I do have a wish list request for this, I should see if I can find it.

Yes please @Jim Smith - If you could post the link it would be good to raise the votes on that one.