PVA - Jim

Not-so-Final Quality Renderworks

37 minutes ago, JimW said:

Final Quality Renderworks is NOT what I would consider Final. It's name is a holdover from a previous rendering engine and leads a lot of users to think that if they slap that FQRW button, they'll get the best rendering possible, I hope to get this renamed soon.

Yes please! This is one of those strange things to explain to new users.

I tend to encourage students to always use Renderworks Style resources, as I've found it almost always leads to better results in less time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Final Quality Renderworks is NOT what I would consider Final. It's name is a holdover from a previous rendering engine and leads a lot of users to think that if they slap that FQRW button, they'll get the best rendering possible, I hope to get this renamed soon.

It is confusing. I'm surprised it hasn't been removed completely. When you bring old files forward VW could easily reassign things using it to a custom Renderworks Style. I guess maybe for exporting backwards.....

Kevin

• Like 1

I'm thinking it could easily be made a Renderworks Style, then anything forward converting would just generate a style named "Final Quality Renderworks" if it was ever used in an older file, or even just ALWAYS create it since a RW style isn't going to increase filesize much at all. For exporting backwards, those settings should just convert as a style as well, and since we are fast approaching the oldest exported version being able to support renderworks styles anyway (I'm pretty sure this is true, have to check) the point might become moot. 

2 minutes ago, JimW said:

I'm thinking it could easily be made a Renderworks Style, then anything forward converting would just generate a style named "Final Quality Renderworks" if it was ever used in an older file, or even just ALWAYS create it since a RW style isn't going to increase filesize much at all. For exporting backwards, those settings should just convert as a style as well, and since we are fast approaching the oldest exported version being able to support renderworks styles anyway (I'm pretty sure this is true, have to check) the point might become moot. 

The main thing it would do for me is free up a keyboard command related to rendering. You can easily access it using the default keyboard shortcuts but you can't access a user set default Renderworks style for example.

KM

Side note: I also think OpenGL, the shaded poly modes and Hidden Line should be Renderworks Styles as well. The Render list could use some cleanup. Also I don't find much reason to use Custom Renderworks now at all since it's basically just a limited version of a Renderworks style.

8 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The main thing it would do for me is free up a keyboard command related to rendering. You can easily access it using the default keyboard shortcuts but you can't access a user set default Renderworks style for example.

Agreed. I hate that FQRW is hard coded to CMD-Shift-F since I never use it and for a hotkey I would most likely want to map my fast test render style anyway rather than a slower final one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JimW said:

The Render list could use some cleanup.

^ This is long overdue. I just wish listed something related to this about Renderworks Style naming.....

Kevin

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Yes please! This is one of those strange things to explain to new users.

I tend to encourage students to always use Renderworks Style resources, as I've found it almost always leads to better results in less time.

I think more info on what you refer to as Renderworks Style would be helpful.  Ive typically used open GL for most everything rarely touching any other settings. Mainly because It can get pretty confusing. I get lost between the custom Renderwork styles, custom Renderwork options.  I will say we do very little rendering and open GL works for all, but still leaves me wondering if there are not better options.  I feel as tho maybe I could get a style saved, and apply to all renderings.

Edited by HEengineering

3 hours ago, JimW said:

The ONLY thing changes between these three scenes was the rendering mode used. no textures, lights or geometry were altered.

and no animals were harmed... :)

19 minutes ago, HEengineering said:

I think more info on what you refer to as Renderworks Style would be helpful.  Ive typically used open GL for most everything rarely touching any other settings. Mainly because It can get pretty confusing. I get lost between the custom Renderwork styles, custom Renderwork options.  I will say we do very little rendering and open GL works for all, but still leaves me wondering if there are not better options.  I feel as tho maybe I could get a style saved, and apply to all renderings.

Custom Renderworks Styles are just a way to save different sets of Custom Renderworks Options. JimW posted a couple of good video links about them above.

Kevin

Funny,

I never really used one of these provided styles or ever Custom RW.

When I tried for the first time any provided RW render style,

I realized there will be a copy in the render drop down and Resource Manager.

So I immediately renamed that and changed it to my liking.

Either I use that method to create my first render style in a new file only

or mostly simply re-import these from my last file.

This is my typicall workflow when creating renderings.

For showing quick previews when someone is looking over my shoulder and asking questions > Fast Renderworks

For middle of the road and while having my daily coffee > Custom Renderworks, adjust quality as needed

For those almost there moments and fine light tunning > Always Renderstyles + adjust sheet resolution as needed ( 25dpi, 72dpi, 150dpi, 300dpi, 600dpi)

I must admit that I have not been adventurous enough when it comes to renderworks styles, as a company we predominantly use Final Quality renderworks for renders of our shows, we are often taking in a large area with a lot of equipment and stage set, I had a misconception that anything seriously altered beyond FQRW would drastically increase my render times. I believe I will sample the render settings again and create a custom render setting we can share throughout the company. Does anyone here work in live events and have any tips or tricks they could pass on?

• Like 1

Here are a few:

• Don't use Final Quality.

• Learn the benefits of Custom Renderworks

• If you are serious about quality control and your rendering standards, create your own Renderings Styles.

• Like 2

Here are some more:

Don't use high GI settings unless you need to.  I rarely want more than the 3 bounce exterior GI setting. 

Ambient occlusion + a slight amount of ambient lighting (~15%) will go a long way helping a render feel lit

I always try to keep the indirect lighting/soft shadows/blurriness to low quality if possible. 

You can get pretty tricky with your textures to cut down on reflections and such.  Does the clasp on the road box or the yoke on the source four really need to be a highly reflective chrome texture or can it be a color?  

I think adding smoke and atmosphere is much better done in photoshop than rendered.  Unless you're doing some Vision work, which is pretty dang good.  There are brushes for photoshop that have light beams in a wide variety.  You can "stamp out" a pretty good look in about 5 minutes.