STEP export fails

Hello,

I am a student new to Vectorworks and am trying to export a model to step so I can send it to be machined. The model renders well but when I export to .stp the resulting file seems like a collection of surfaces and not a solid.  It seems as though the problem is in parts that have 3d fillets applied. You can see the first two images seem like surfaces where the actual model in VW is a solid.  It's not a particularly complex model. I have tried numerous methods to correct by building the model different ways but always ends up with some variation of this.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 9.50.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 9.49.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 9.50.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 9.51.02 PM.png

4 hours ago, JimW said:

What version of Vectorworks are you working with? What software are you importing the resulting STEP file into?

2017 Education Version. I have tried importing the .STPs into the Autocad 360 viewer, Mastercam, and back into Vectorworks and they all appear the same.

In my experience its very likely to be the fillets causing the issue. I often see them disappear in exports to Rhino and I've also had trouble with them when exporting for 3d printing. Two different things you could try -

1. convert a copy of your object to a generic solid and export that.
  2. convert a copy of your object to NURBS. It will create a group of NURBS surfaces. Select all the NURBS surfaces and run Stitch and Trim Surfaces from Model>3d Powerpack. If everything aligns as it should it will create a watertight generic solid.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I had similar thoughts to Kevin and tried a generic solid convert and then an export, but it still seems a bit odd in STP. No issue present if I export to STL however which I'm more familiar with.

I'll submit the file and see if something is failing during export.