Text sizes incorrectly between layers of different scale

I wonder if this is a bug, or if I am doing something incorrectly:

I have a symbol which consists of a line of text. It was created at 10 pt. If I paste it into a layer at 1 1/2" scale, it reads correctly. If I paste it into a layer at 3" scale, it becomes 20 pt. It will do this consistently in layers of different scales. If I edit the symbol while in a layer at 1 1/2", the text object appears to be 10 pt. If I edit the symbol while in a layer at 3", the text object appears to be 20 pt.

If I paste it into a 1/4" layer, it comes out as 2 pt.

Toggling "scale text" in my layers options does not affect this behavior.

VW 10.5.1

Win2k

PS: just tried this with a bit of text not part of a symbol. The same problem occurs: create text in a layer at 1/4", cut and paste into a layer at 3", the text goes from 10 pt. to 120 pt., regardless of whether "scale text" is checked.

[ 04-08-2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

quote:

Originally posted by P Retondo:

Toggling "scale text" in my layers options does not affect this behavior.

You aren't doing anything wrong and the behaviour is not a bug - I believe this is how it is designed to work. Whether it is good design, is another issue. I can't even guess whether the behaviour can be changed.

The 'scale text' toggle is not actually a layer option, but rather tells the program whether to change text size when the scale of a layer is changed.

I think the reasoning is that usually the piece of text is part of an assembly, such as an individual drawing title. That assembly includes lines and circles and things, all of which have to change size when pasted into a differently scaled layer; and so the text changes size along with them to keep the original geometric arrangement. After pasting, you just use the "Scale Objects" command (with "Scale Text" selected) to adjust the whole assembly to the new scale.