Importing Sketchup file into Vectorworks... Nothing happens

thornm

Question

I am trying to import a Sketchup file into Vectorworks 2016.  When I use "Import Sketchup File" and click on the chosen file, nothing happens.  The Sketchup settings window doesn't open, and nothing imports.  There isn't an error message, just nothing.  The file window closes and I return to my Vectorworks screen.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Restarted Vectorworks

-Loaded in a new OS (I was using El Capitan.  I updated to Sierra)

-Saving Sketchup file to Desktop and trying to import from there

-Backsaving Sketchup file to Sketchup 8, and saving that to Desktop

All of this has resulted in no change.  When I try to import, nothing happens. Is there a Vectorworks setting I'm missing that's blocking the import?  

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Unfortunately the scenic designer I'm working with only uses Sketchup, and I only use Vectorworks.

I attached the offending Sketchup file. 

Onērus Set V4 copy.skp

When you are importing from sketchup or -especially- from a dwg the drawing is often not near the center of the drawing universe.

I opened your original file in sketchup, saved it back to skp 2014 and imported that file into VW 2017.

I think it just showed up blank for me at first, too.  The drawing was "north" a little bit.  I wonder if you try it again and hit Command 6 you might see that it really was there.  Just further away from 0,0 than you expected.

Hi Michael-- I did try looking around the drawing (using the Zoom center tool), and didn't find any objects.  But that's an interesting thought.

Andy, I didn't try removing the special characters.  That's an odd one.  Michael, did you need to remove the special character before you imported?

Thanks,

-Thorn

Since I changed the computer, I can't import files from SketchUp into Vectorworks. Not even simple objects.

It was always difficult to import from SketchUp (in the other computer)but I could manage it. But now...it simply doesn't work!

My version of Vectorworks is 2016. I know all the sketchup models need to be from that year or older.

My actual computer is a MSi with the following characteristics:

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700HQ; CPU 2,80GHz

Memory: 16GB

Placa Gráfica: Geforce GTX 1050 Ti

I'm getting desperate...and no solution on the horizon.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Iúri

I believe if you have VW 2016 the Sketchup files have to be from 2015 or earlier.  I'm not positive, but I believe that Sketchup 16 was released a few months after VW 16.  So there is usually a 1 year lag.

If you'd like to post a skp file here (you'd have to zip it first) or PM it to me, I'd be happy to try the conversion and send you back a VW16 file if it works.

10 hours ago, michaelk said:

I believe if you have VW 2016 the Sketchup files have to be from 2015 or earlier.  I'm not positive, but I believe that Sketchup 16 was released a few months after VW 16.  So there is usually a 1 year lag.

If you'd like to post a skp file here (you'd have to zip it first) or PM it to me, I'd be happy to try the conversion and send you back a VW16 file if it works.

Many Thanks for your reply.

I try all of that. The import SketchUp seems it doesn't function...does nothing...no reaction...

It may be some problem with the graphics?

2 hours ago, michaelk said:

Usually if it doesn't import it gives you a message about unsupported file formats.  I've never had a problem importing skp files.  

Have. you tried saving the skp files back to 2014?

Yes, I tried all previous formats. What is strange to me, is that, when I used other computer (with much less capacity) I could manage it to import from sketchup.

Since I changed computer with better capacities, it stopped to import...I don't have any explination...that's why I'm guessing maybe I have some drivers that need to be installed? 

Very interesting.  @IuriChagas sent me the skp file. I started importing the sketchup file into VW 2019 on my 2017 15" MacBookPro w/ 16GB RAM and a 2TB SSD.

The import ran over night.  By morning it had consumed ALL of the 16GB of RAM and 38 GB of virtual memory.

I got a message I've never seen before:  "Your system has run out of application memory."  And then it offers to force quit any of the running applications.

So I suspect that on your computer the import wasn't doing nothing.  It may have been trying to start a12 hour process. 🙂

The skp file was 129.9 MB.  The VW 19 file when it finally finished importing was 9.29 GB!

After the import finished I managed to save the file.  Then I had to restart the computer to make it useable.  Just reopening the file took 32GB of virtual memory.  It struggled, but it was finally able to export to VW 2016.

I think there is something in the file that VW really really really doesn't like.  Self intersecting geometry? Millions of mesh tiny mesh objects?  

1 hour ago, michaelk said:

Very interesting.  @IuriChagas sent me the skp file. I started importing the sketchup file into VW 2019 on my 2017 15" MacBookPro w/ 16GB RAM and a 2TB SSD.

The import ran over night.  By morning it had consumed ALL of the 16GB of RAM and 38 GB of virtual memory.

I got a message I've never seen before:  "Your system has run out of application memory."  And then it offers to force quit any of the running applications.

So I suspect that on your computer the import wasn't doing nothing.  It may have been trying to start a12 hour process. 🙂

The skp file was 129.9 MB.  The VW 19 file when it finally finished importing was 9.29 GB!

After the import finished I managed to save the file.  Then I had to restart the computer to make it useable.  Just reopening the file took 32GB of virtual memory.  It struggled, but it was finally able to export to VW 2016.

I think there is something in the file that VW really really really doesn't like.  Self intersecting geometry? Millions of mesh tiny mesh objects?  

The problem is that doesn't work also with small files...not even single objects as cars, persons, plants...maybe some definitions in sketchup or vectorworks that might be wrong?

One thing I've occasionally found when importing SketchUp objects is that a single SketchUp texture might import into Vectorworks as hundreds or thousands of separate textures, one of for each polygon in the model... depending on how it was originally mapped in SketchUp. This has severely slowed otherwise simple imports. This may or may not be related to the issue at hand.

On 4/25/2019 at 8:09 AM, Andy Broomell said:

One thing I've occasionally found when importing SketchUp objects is that a single SketchUp texture might import into Vectorworks as hundreds or thousands of separate textures, one of for each polygon in the model... depending on how it was originally mapped in SketchUp. This has severely slowed otherwise simple imports. This may or may not be related to the issue at hand.

I’m having this same issue, the very detailed sketchup furniture file only has 4 materials/maps but when I import it into vectorworks the program hangs for way too long and I need to force shutdown vectorworks.

I the sketchup file has materials attached to each individual mesh triangle inside the group, as opposed to all the meshes and line to have the default material, and the whole group or component painted with the selected material. 

Try making all geometry inside groups the default material and only whole groups get material allocation.