HOW TO PRESENT EXTERIOR DRAWINGS WITH DIMENSIONS FOR CONSTRUCTION

Hey everyone, Apologies i am finding it difficult to get my head around setting up plans for construction using dimensions and angles. The company does not have a standard for this so creating myself. Hope I am making myself clear but what way would you present final plans with exact dimensions to give to carpenters for construction? 

19 minutes ago, CraftyCat said:

Hey everyone, Apologies i am finding it difficult to get my head around setting up plans for construction using dimensions and angles. The company does not have a standard for this so creating myself. Hope I am making myself clear but what way would you present final plans with exact dimensions to give to carpenters for construction? 

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 12.22.44.png

Like everything VW, there's more than one way to do this. I tend to put 99% of text & dimensions in the Annotation Layer, this includes the drawing table that we use to also call out the scale. If this were my project I would use a Chain Dimension line to call out the important locations of walls & openings. I tend to call the Centre Line out for windows & doors & give more detail on the schedules. (However for Building code issues I do call out the distance of a door on the latch side.) In a 1:50 drawing I tend to have the dimension line about 1M (+/-) from the work & would follow the Chain Dimension with an overall dimension about the same distance.

Just a question, this  seems like a cabinet projection, were you planning on Plan Views as well as Elevations & Sections?

I think you'll need to make a choice about whether you're intending to make clear construction drawings or a pretty perspective rendering. It is possible to place both on a sheet but you'll need to approach each differently to have a successful result. From your original image we have a sense of the object but its not clear how you're trying to present it.

KM

31 minutes ago, CraftyCat said:

Kevin my aim is to give exact dimensions to build. Also to indicate how it should look when complete.

Easy to achieve on the same sheet, but not necessarily in the same drawing/sheet layer viewport especially if you're trying to include textures and colours. In addition 3d views can be difficult to use for accurate dimensioning. I tend to opt for clarity in construction drawing which usually means leaving out the textures/colours and showing them in a 3d perspective view instead.

Example below of a drafting sheet and the colour perspective which was included separately (I could of also replaced the B&W version on the sheet but it was rendered in C4D).

Kevin

5991cfa0051bb_0056_Rewilding_007Beaver_20140114.jpg.ba01736e79beb0aea031c5f9b2deec07.jpg5991cfcc00678_0056_6BeaverRevisedColour_20140105.jpg.fd6b927450196b555d629e924f5a6f50.jpg

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, CraftyCat said:

See attached flyover tools does not work fantastic with this model.

Which mode are you using the Flyover Tool in? I tend to use it in the "interactive origin" or "object centre" modes which are the 2nd and 3rd modes in the mode bar when the tool is selected. "Interactive origin" needs  you to click to place the centre of the rotation and then you can rotate around it. "Object centre" needs a selected object to rotate around otherwise it rotates around the drawing origin. Another thing that make flyovers easier - keep your object close to the origin when possible. It looks like your model is lying flat on its back which can definitely cause the flyover to feel weird.

Kevin