Arrows don't move selected item, they move my view to another position on the layer

I am a student working on Vectorworks 2017.  I was working on a file in vectorworks 2016 and have opened it and am now working in Vectorworks 2017 on Mac.  If I select any item - text, shape etc - and try to move it using the arrow buttons on the keywboard, it doesn't move the selected item, it throws my view in that direction.  As far as I can tell the item is still selected.  The view changes in the direction of the arrow.

@justinekwoodIf you want to nudge with just the arrows, there's a little more to it.

Nudge has user defined options you can access from Tools>Options>Vectorworks Preferences...

599366d20cc39_VWpreferences.png.48bcf05bda124177f42c45739a3948a8.png

Just switch the arrow key options to suit your preference. For example just arrow for Nudge objects can be chosen (as above).

I would guess you were previously using a copy of 2016 that another user had set to their preferred default and (having got used to that) you expected the (as it turns out - default) 2017 to respond in the same way.

Vectorworks is great in that you can 'make it your own', but using in a multi-seat environment (which I'm guessing you may well be in) can sometimes come-back-at-yer when others have set options you are unaware of.

..................................On the other hand, now you know what options are available, you might like a bit of shift-arrow.

All the best.