Twinmotion Plugin + Sync

Tom Klaber

Question

I appreciate this is an old post, but has anyone found a way to import decent plants into Twinmotion? None of the many VWS plants I tested looked good once exported in Twinmotion, which has a very basic plant palette. Tried some Skp ones but with very inconsistent results. VBvisual plants don't work either and I cannot find a way to transfer marketplace content into Twinmotion. There must be something I am missing? 

Lumion would be great but we are on Macs

5 hours ago, twk said:

FYI:

Unreal has bought out Quixel now. Making megascans available to all UE users for free! Also, free Twinmotion extened to the 1st quarter of 2020.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-4-24-to-ship-with-free-quixel-megascans-unreal-studio-features-and-more

Not sure what the gameplan is for UnrealEngine, but they seem to be making alot of assets free.

Would be beneficial for the Devs @ Vectoworks look into a direct import/export process.

Good news if you scroll down on that link:

Previously, we’d announced that Twinmotion would remain free until November 2019; once downloaded, you can continue using the free version indefinitely. Today, we’re extending the free availability until our next release of Twinmotion, which is anticipated to ship in the first quarter of 2020.

• Like 1

Helllo everyone

I generated this short video of my home, to test the new VW Animation. 12 hours time elaboration. 10 second and low quality...

So.. my opinion is that actually is a good tool but animation must be considered only outside renderworks+Cinema 4D engine.

Twinmotion is the best way actually, but I dream to see another render engine inside vectorworks to have similar results between sections, perspective views and animations.

Maybe if I find some time I will try to use Twinmotion to do the same.

Regards

Z

Edited by Zeno
  • Like 2

I am also really excited to see either a direct export for Twinmotion 2020 or realtime rendering within VW via Redshift etc. Whatever happens realtime rendering is now on ever ones radar so its vital that VW supports this development, like they already have with Lumion. However as Lumion only work on PC not Mac at present so that excludes half the user base, and. a Mac native solution like Vectorworks to Twinmotion with a direct link would be amazing.

Yesterday, I rendered out this 1 Min 45 second sequence in full 4K in under 45 mins on my MacBook Pro with EGPU set up for a Twinmotion Community competition. Hope you like it!

Edited by JRA-Vectorworks-CAD
  • Like 3

I still haven't found a good method of exporting from VW to Twinmotion, tried all different file formats, it's not consistent. Sometimes objects or simple extrusions are just missing, it sure has potential and I just hope for a direct link between the two. 

ps, if someone has a good method of how to prepare and export a file from VW to TM please do let me know, cheers 👍

7 hours ago, milezee said:

@Mark Aceto thoughts on the new 16" MBP ?  any good with VW, Twinmotion or other CAD/Render softwares ? 

My future 16" MacBook Pro... now that it's finally available.

I priced out the same specs as the 2019 model I bought this summer -- 2.4GHz 8-core CPU, 4GB VRAM, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD -- and the new model is $1000 less. What's crazier, is the cost to double the VRAM to 8GB is only $100.

They've always sold the crippled base models within the same $200 entry price points (only increased $200 when they added the emoji bar), but now they've increased the base model price, and lowered the upgrades. It's genius. Everyone benefits. 

Hell

Froze

Over

For VW and TM, this new machine is a no-brainer. 8GB VRAM and 32GB RAM (won't need 64GB).

Apple isn't the constraint anymore. Can't wait to get my hands on that GPU! Now it's just on VW to make use of all 8 cores in that CPU...

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1

Just to throw in my two cents: As noted, if you're on a Mac, the only option is Twinmotion (no Luminon for you). So far only playing around with it (thanks Johnathan for your videos!) but C4D export has shown the most promise. FBX leaves out things like doors or tires. Still wrapping my head around best import/export methods but I will say this: Ease of use and speed to illustrate to a client in real time blows Vectorworks out the door.  Working on getting the hang of the software, but it has been easy to learn quickly. So far have been able to muddle my way thru a few demos in less than an hour in what would have take Vectorworks half a day. To that end, NNA, (like has been done with Lumion), needs to get on the add-in bus (the competition is ahead on this one).  There's lots of change going on with Unreal having bought the company so lets hope that happens soon.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, jnr said:

FBX leaves out things like doors or tires.

I am happy that FBX lets my tires where they are 🙂

SCNR

But so far I didn't miss any VW geometry.

(Just some Stairs since VW 2019 and more since VW 2020,

but that is true for C4D Exchange as well)

34 minutes ago, jnr said:

There's lots of change going on with Unreal having bought the company so lets hope that happens soon.

Looks like that will happen during the next year.

(Not November as initially stated)

I tried to avoid such "Toys" like Twinmotion for some time.

But have to admit I am quite pleased with and impressed by Twinmotion

as it is now, since I played with it a few times.

And I also have lots of hopes for its next release under Unreal.

Like Linux Support, more Raytracing, better Render Quality, ....

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

@Mark Aceto Lucky you. Please tell us how you find the new MacBook Pro 16" as I am looking a reason to upgrade my MacBook portable for work on the go, as I still feel Apple make great laptops!

However, I could not justify even consider the new Mac Pro....So I just bought my first ever PC I have nicknamed "The Beast" as it eats Twinmotion for breakfast, and it has AMD Ryzen™ 9 3900X CPU, AM4, Zen 2, 12 Core, 24 Thread, 3.8GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo processor and a 11GB GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Graphics Card! All for only £2K+ VAT.

Its also really nice to be able to max out settings in Renderworks and not worry about time as it chew though 300 DPI renders in final quality. Part of my thinking was that I will use this machine to do my test renders while I develop my presentation for San Diego on " The Art of Renderworks"

What does anyone else feel about Mac Pro VS specced up PC?

• Like 3

Though I've used Macs for the last 33 years, if I decide to have my company buy a workstation, which I am considering, I will more than likely go PC. Apple's continuous "we're serious about the pro/no we're not" cycle has made me lean away from Apple. I'll do some cost comparisons but at this point with Apple's on again/off again interest in the pro market, I don't think I can justify a premium price. Makes me kind of sad, the new pro models are way too late and I think Apple may discover that when the Pros don't come flocking to them like they used too.

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1
On 11/13/2019 at 11:45 AM, milezee said:

I still haven't found a good method of exporting from VW to Twinmotion, tried all different file formats, it's not consistent. Sometimes objects or simple extrusions are just missing, it sure has potential and I just hope for a direct link between the two. 

ps, if someone has a good method of how to prepare and export a file from VW to TM please do let me know, cheers 👍

I export as C4D with sort by texture and I'm not having any problems. You're sure it's not a class issue? I'll sometimes turn a class off when working in VW and then when I re-export items have disappeared. Really the only problem I have had is with transparency masks. I've had them work no problem but other times I can't get them to work at all, no matter when I try.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JRA-Vectorworks-CAD said:

@Mark Aceto Lucky you. Please tell us how you find the new MacBook Pro 16" as I am looking a reason to upgrade my MacBook portable for work on the go, as I still feel Apple make great laptops!

However, I could not justify even consider the new Mac Pro....So I just bought my first ever PC I have nicknamed "The Beast" as it eats Twinmotion for breakfast, and it has AMD Ryzen™ 9 3900X CPU, AM4, Zen 2, 12 Core, 24 Thread, 3.8GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo processor and a 11GB GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Graphics Card! All for only £2K+ VAT.

Its also really nice to be able to max out settings in Renderworks and not worry about time as it chew though 300 DPI renders in final quality. Part of my thinking was that I will use this machine to do my test renders while I develop my presentation for San Diego on " The Art of Renderworks"

Sorry for the confusion, I was joking about my future 16" MacBook Pro... now that it's finally available. However, I don't plan to buy one until the next iteration in summer 2020 (when Catalina is stable, I no longer need 32-bit apps, it has the next gen CPU, Wi-Fi 6, a time-tested keyboard... )

The Beast sounds epic. AMD had some pretty big announcements today too :)

The new 16" MBP configured with the same specs as my 2019 MBP (8-core 2.4GHz, 4GB VRAM, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD) costs an unbelievable $1,000 LESS (with mostly newer faster components, improved restored keyboard, physical Escape key, a slightly larger screen)so that gives me hope that the upcoming Mac Pro won't kill buyers with upgrade pricing. That said, the CPU has already been trounced by what AMD is currently offering (especially for your VW 300 DPI renders), so I think we still live in a world where we use a MBP as our daily driver (and take onsite), and config a Windows workstation for rendering.

Also, they've greatly improved computer trade-in value which really helps everyone who bought a lemon (myself included).

Edited by Mark Aceto
3 hours ago, JRA-Vectorworks-CAD said:

Hmmh,

I went a bit cheaper with only a 2700X 8 core and RTX 2070 at that time.

And overall it is double as fast as my 6 core trash can with dual D700s.

But if necessary I could do standard projects still on the 6 year old Mac Pro.

So CPU rendering and Twinmotion is more fun of course on PC.

Or could have nearly similar power on a 4000 € iMac or 16" Macbook Pro.

Or 5000-6500 € iMac Pro.

Or 7000-XXXX Mac Pro soon.

But if I will finally get my hands on a Ryzen 3950X,

(compatible here)

which seems not to be that easy or that soon,

it will look a bit worse for the current and future Mac line up concerning

the bang for the buck.