Twinmotion Plugin + Sync

Tom Klaber

Question

TM2020 has an automatic back-up option so I would use it!

Doesn't seem like it makes a lot of sense transferring 2019 files to 2020; all of the lighting and people have to be redone. But I guess that isn't a big deal if the sun is your only light source. I'm working on an outdoor scene and wow, is it easy with only one light source! I experimented with some 2019 files and the people get swapped out and don't even maintain their pose; I had people who were standing changed to sitting and vice versa.

Now 2019 just crashed on me twice.

Edited by chaz
On 1/9/2020 at 4:07 PM, chaz said:

I'm trying to get a coworker up and running in TM. He's in another office but we've talked on the phone. I gave him access to one of my TM files and also the C4D file, textures, and the VW file. He can open my TM file and sees the scene, no problem. But, if he closes that and tries to import the C4D file, the import fails, he gets nothing. I've walked him through it and he's doing everything the same as me, importing set to geometry, etc. I had him check the list of materials on the right side and they are not there, he just has the initial empty environment that TM starts with. He's not facing the wrong way or anything, when I import it, I can see the roof of the model that the view is above.

Any idea what his problem could be?

TIA

Well, I've been struggling with this same issue the last two days. Had a file I've been working on for over a week and suddenly, when I go to update the C4D file, I would get nothing; even what was already imported would disappear. This was in TM2019. I was able to open the 2019 file in 2020 but when I tried to update the C4D file, it would go for awhile and then lock up. I went back to a back up file and same thing, even when using a back up C4D file. I tried downloading and reinstalling 19, trashing my user library, etc, etc. I found I couldn't even import a simple cube into a new TM file.

Lots of googling and I finally came across this:

Hi. On re-installing the apps on my Macbook Pro I have discovered the conflict (which is now back again!) as unfortunately it is a piece of software required for Remote Access to the office which I use regularly - Namely GlobalProtect version 4.1.7 -18 by Palo Alto Networks. As soon as this is installed Twinmotion will not import files.

I didn't even remember that I had installed it but on a call Monday, we were reminded that we needed to use it to be able to remote access in to change our password if it was expiring (I had 5 days left) so I had downloaded it. Now I'm trying to get our IT dept to uninstall it so I can get my work done.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Diego-Resuelvectorworks said:

Twinmotion has a web page with a roadmap of updates and the direct link for Vectorworks doesn't appear anywhere 
https://portal.productboard.com/7pu88c9kpmqtzt8hwg6arujh/tabs/5-in-progress 

Senior staff at VW have told me it is up to TM - VW is not the bottle neck.  Either way, Mac users continue to be under served.  I'm pretty much used to it at this point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
12 hours ago, Diego-Resuelvectorworks said:

Twinmotion has a web page with a roadmap of updates and the direct link for Vectorworks doesn't appear anywhere 
https://portal.productboard.com/7pu88c9kpmqtzt8hwg6arujh/tabs/5-in-progress 

Thanks, I submitted two items under "submit ideas". I think they are really missing out with the difficulties of creating interior scenes, with the sun bleeding into 100% enclosed spaces with no windows and lights that don't function properly that were introduced in 2020. They are really limiting their market to architecture. I still find 2019 much better for most of my work but I wonder if it is a dead end if the software is going to stay so limiting.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, rb-arch said:

Senior staff at VW have told me it is up to TM - VW is not the bottle neck.  Either way, Mac users continue to be under served.  I'm pretty much used to it at this point.

Sadly, I blame Apple with their on again off again approach to the pro market. I'm leaning toward switching to a PC after 32 years being Mac only.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, chaz said:

Sadly, I blame Apple with their on again off again approach to the pro market. I'm leaning toward switching to a PC after 32 years being Mac only.

Apple hasn't helped, that's for sure.  Vectorworks was built by Mac users, so it is just a bit frustrating.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, KrisM said:

Submitted my request. 

Perhaps an email to all members of this forum to submit their request would generate a response.

From THIS other thread @JuanP said that Vw is "working with Epic Games to connect Vectorworks with Unreal Studio, Twinmotion, and any other Unreal-based applications.  Ready for the 2021 cycle."

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, rDesign said:

From THIS other thread @JuanP said that Vw is "working with Epic Games to connect Vectorworks with Unreal Studio, Twinmotion, and any other Unreal-based applications.  Ready for the 2021 cycle."

I was told, directly by VW, that the timeline is out of their hands unlike other live links - it is on Epic Games.  I think VW should apply some pressure, but the person I spoke to said the community speaking up wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1

At this point, it makes more sense to use a MacBook Pro for your daily driver (and to take onsite), a Windows workstation for drafting/design work, and Synergy to connect the two. Every year, we keep hoping praying for the Mac situation to improve but the carrot stick keeps moving further out of reach. There are no signs of Apple making peace with NVIDIA or offering an AMD CPU in any of their "pro" models, and they're about to kill support for OpenGL while Vectorworks has not confirmed support for Metal.

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
On 5/13/2020 at 6:49 AM, Mark Aceto said:

There are no signs of Apple making peace with NVIDIA or offering an AMD CPU in any of their "pro" models, and they're about to kill support for OpenGL while Vectorworks has not confirmed support for Metal.

Add to this Apple's move to ARM processors over the next while... It'll be interesting to see which apps will be come windows only.

8 hours ago, rDesign said:

Metal was confirmed for Vw2021 in the 2020 Design Summit virtual keynote (around 12:20 in the Welcome presentation).

I am no native speaker so I didn't really get that part.

VW 2021 will be the first version "supporting" Metal (in some way ?)

but VGM will keep working with OpenGL ? (not Vulkan).

So MoltenGL ? Or something other from in-house or 3rd party ?

Nevertheless that should accelerate VW graphics.

And the target is to make VGM totally independent from OS's graphic APIs,

but that may take (lot ?) more time ...