Twinmotion Plugin + Sync

Tom Klaber

Question

3 hours ago, grant_PD said:

I'm in a file right now here's what I can do.  I have a completely closed room, w/ the outside set to night time.  I can turn off ambient light and get no light at all.  I can turn on ambient and get a little light (cranking this up doesn't do much).  I can activate a texture with glow and have it emit light to light up the room.  It's all a little "effecty" and not realistic based at all, but I don't expect much more from these types of programs.  After watching some tuturials I did find that the time of day effected both ambient and luminous textures.  

image.thumb.png.9b1cd5cd3488a39d1de9f9b32153d571.png

image.thumb.png.4effe684eab269aee6d50f1653abdc12.png

image.thumb.png.b9b497d15477310b75aeb742e7f41d20.png

When you say "I can activate a texture with glow and have it emit light" is it a texture or a material? In 2019, I can place a screen image texture on a screen and then adjust the glow to "backlight" the screen and make it realistic rather than dark. If I do this in 2020, it just blows out to a pure white, even with just a fraction of a percentage of glow. Same thing with a color, blows out to white immediately.

@grant_PD it takes a bit of messing/experimenting to get the lighting right for interior scenes, I came across a post on one of the TM Facebook pages, user on there shared some his settings, interior scene, can't seem to share the exact post here but have screenshot his images, and the settings used. Basically you need different exposure, GI, light intensity etc for different times of the day. Link to the group page, just type the name Anh Pham in the search box. TM 2020 definitely needs some debugging, and optimising to run a little more efficiently. 

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 18.55.32.png

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 18.50.27.png

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 18.49.59.png

• Like 2

couple of images I managed to bash out last week, not played with it much since, full architectural scenes are not what I'm after either, interiors/furniture etc, so I'm hoping for it to be optimised and debugged in the next couple of software updates , it's definitely promising, and fun too, and for me that keeps me interested 👍😁 

Image1_003.png

Int 2.jpg

Int 1.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, grant_PD said:

I had to dial the glow WAY down to get this, but you can see that my "videoscreen" texture is glowing (no lights in the scene) and also that the texture, which is loaded both into the color and the glow channel, seems to be emitting light.  

image.thumb.png.918a89bb2bd8bd0e05dadbf712024af6.png

Ok, thanks, I'll try that. I tried using like 0.01% glow and it would blow out but I didn't have the texture in both color and glow channels.

Nice work everyone.

Oh my god,

Enscape is so great. I love it.

On 3/25/2020 at 4:39 PM, Tom Klaber said:

Enscape!

Does Enscape work on Macs? 

No, they say you should use Bootcamp 🤐

Their excuse was for years that Apple doesn't sell capable hardware for real time.

But there are so many asking for Mac support on their Forum.

I thought they were full on OpenGL 4.x.

But as they ask for Vulkan support while installation and Vulkan released Raytracing

a few days ago, I think there could be an option via MoltenVK  - in a few years.

And as they seem to use or port to Vulkan, I think it would not be unlikely that

they even go Metal - if they see a market.

Edited by zoomer

I think yes.

I currently tried to compare both 1:1 - but that quickly crashed VW+Enscape Beta 🙂

For me Enscape looks much better out of the box with VW materials.

Will be much better once the Enscape material dialog and libraries get available.

On the other hand Unreal's raytracing is still in early Beta and Twinmotion doesn't even

look like screen space GI for now. But I am pretty sure that it will in a few month (or years).

Windows only is currently a deal breaker for me.

But with Enscape Plugins starting for Bricscad and Vectorworks now,

I think there will be enough Mac user pressure so that it is not unlikely that Enscape

will be Mac compatible one day. (And with Vulkan maybe also Linux compatible !)

And if not I think Twinmotion may fullfill my needs in a few versions anyway.

Maybe it is also worth investing time in getting used to Unreal.

Great times for Visualization in quite difficult analogue real world times.

Enscape to me just looks less 'gamey' - TM 2020 still to my eyes still has that, but way less than TM 2019. Most of my stuff is exterior based, so I really need the enscape assets (which look really good) to get a good feel for it,  so its TM for the next while (have to say the trees and veg are just wow).. plus I have to wait for the AU/NZ version of SP3 to come out to give enscape a spin... 😐. From what I've seen can see myself tilting to Enscape - it looks outstanding.

Got a bit of time to spend on TM now NZ is in full lockdown...  😷

• Like 1

@rb-arch

I use the same settings as you. Most of the time TM keeps the new textures but I have occasionally seen it revert back to the VW textures when I do an update. You're losing all of your replaced textures?

VW export to C4D via textures, final renderworks.

@rb-arch

Last night I re-exported from VW and updated the import in TM. I realized I had some layers off in VW and went back and turned them on and re-exported. When I updated TM again, I lost the textures that had been on layers that were missing on the last update. So I closed TM without saving, reopened it and then updated the import so that it had the accurate update without the inaccurate one.

Normally I set up VW with all the layers and classes I need on in TM and save a View so that I can always go to that View before I update the C4D export and avoid exports missing things.

I'm still using TM19 at this point. I've found 2020 will hang when trying to import a lot of my files while 2019 can successfully import.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, milezee said:

@chaz it's not quite stable enough for me to trust on project work, it needs optimising a little more, some of the instability bugs ironing out, it does have a lot of promise to be a great visualisation tool once these initial bugs are sorted 👍

We've jumped right in.  Even with the flaws it is better than anything else we've found for the Mac that isn't too heavy for our needs (like Cinema 4D).  We've experimented with Replace Material versus Apply Material to Object. 

The software itself seems pretty stable to us.  

@rb-arch there's quite a few users experiencing complete loss of files, ie you work on them, you get a crash, then try to open your file again, and nothing, nada, zilch ! have experienced this with one scene too myself. It's definitely not using the GPU in an efficient way either (on Mac), if you look at the statistics it actually shows 0% GPU on some Macs, it shows this on mine, I'm using a brand new 16" MacBook Pro, somethings not quite right with it, 2019 version no problems 👍

@milezee are you opening TM 19 files in TM 20?

I read somewhere it is not recommended, one should complete projects in the same version as it was started.

I have imported FBX from VW to TM 20 and have not had many crashes, occasionally freezing but not a huge problem. 

TM is still free for most users. I guess they still think of this version as a kind of beta, bugs exist and performance will improve the weeks and months to come...

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Hans-Olav said:

I read somewhere it is not recommended, one should complete projects in the same version as it was started.

I didn't know this.

And wondered why V20 did not import/migrate my projects in project list.

But I opened one of the v19 files manuall and was disappointed as it still

looked v19-ish, without all v20 features.

So I also re-imported all my test files from scratch.