Twinmotion Plugin + Sync

Tom Klaber

Question

@milezee No, I bought it from Mesh here in the UK:    https://www.meshcomputers.com

I did a fair bit of research and decide on this model if your interested: https://www.meshcomputers.com/category/black-friday-sale/matrix-r3900x/

The 12 cores rally help with any rendering and the graphics card is pretty much the best out there at the moment, so any Open GL work or intensive GPU rendering like Twinmotion is super smooth. 

After 25 years of using Macs its my first PC, and these days windows is fine, and actually I love the look of the new PC. Check out how cool this case is compared to the new Mac Pro Cheesegrater which in my view is not as nice as the original G5 Cheesegrater Macs ( I have had 3 of them) What do you guys think? 

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 22.01.26.png

Edited by JRA-Vectorworks-CAD
  • Like 2

My MacBook Pro 16” with 32gb Ram is due to arrive today.  It’s expensive, but I was surprised and relieved they didn’t hike the price even more.   Will let you know how it performs. 

this is my old a MacBook Pro if anyone is interested!  https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254428179832

Ive considered moving to windows a few times - but just too big a shift for me! 

10 hours ago, JRA-Vectorworks-CAD said:

The 12 cores rally help with any rendering and the graphics card is pretty much the best out there at the moment

I gather the latest paradigm is core counts, which are going to to go sky high with the chiplet architecture of AMD due soon. I heard somewhere that VW had a 3 core cap. Is that no longer relevant? I've got an 8core 16 thread, which doesn't seem to push things much higher than my previous machine.

With regards to the RTX series graphics card, I've not noticed any improvement in VW as such, but the new RTX support in render engines like Vray and Premiere is astonishing. So hopefully that will filter down to things like twin motion and Renderworks soon.

https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/v-ray-gpu-adds-support-for-nvidia-rtx

And, please VW, Please look into incorporating the AI Nvidia De-noiser. That bit of tech really slices your render times to fractions.

https://developer.nvidia.com/optix-denoiser

Just think back to when we had a 2GB memory limit, and renders used to take days.... the kids of today don't know how good they've got it!

Hi-five to the other grandads of rendering.

3 hours ago, RussU said:

I gather the latest paradigm is core counts, which are going to to go sky high with the chiplet architecture of AMD due soon. I heard somewhere that VW had a 3 core cap. Is that no longer relevant? I've got an 8core 16 thread, which doesn't seem to push things much higher than my previous machine.

With regards to the RTX series graphics card, I've not noticed any improvement in VW as such, but the new RTX support in render engines like Vray and Premiere is astonishing. So hopefully that will filter down to things like twin motion and Renderworks soon.

https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/v-ray-gpu-adds-support-for-nvidia-rtx

And, please VW, Please look into incorporating the AI Nvidia De-noiser. That bit of tech really slices your render times to fractions.

https://developer.nvidia.com/optix-denoiser

Just think back to when we had a 2GB memory limit, and renders used to take days.... the kids of today don't know how good they've got it!

Hi-five to the other grandads of rendering.

Sadly most of the Vectorworks operations are still single-core, so at this point is irrelevant how many cores we have, since Vectorworks cannot use them, unless you are using Renderworks.

On 11/25/2019 at 5:28 PM, jnr said:

Just to throw in my two cents: As noted, if you're on a Mac, the only option is Twinmotion (no Luminon for you). So far only playing around with it (thanks Johnathan for your videos!) but C4D export has shown the most promise. FBX leaves out things like doors or tires. Still wrapping my head around best import/export methods but I will say this: Ease of use and speed to illustrate to a client in real time blows Vectorworks out the door.  Working on getting the hang of the software, but it has been easy to learn quickly. So far have been able to muddle my way thru a few demos in less than an hour in what would have take Vectorworks half a day. To that end, NNA, (like has been done with Lumion), needs to get on the add-in bus (the competition is ahead on this one).  There's lots of change going on with Unreal having bought the company so lets hope that happens soon.

you are right - VW have alot to learn from the useability of TM software

I'm trying to get a coworker up and running in TM. He's in another office but we've talked on the phone. I gave him access to one of my TM files and also the C4D file, textures, and the VW file. He can open my TM file and sees the scene, no problem. But, if he closes that and tries to import the C4D file, the import fails, he gets nothing. I've walked him through it and he's doing everything the same as me, importing set to geometry, etc. I had him check the list of materials on the right side and they are not there, he just has the initial empty environment that TM starts with. He's not facing the wrong way or anything, when I import it, I can see the roof of the model that the view is above.

Any idea what his problem could be?

TIA

Well, we never did solve the above issue, not sure what was happening on his end, I believe he just gave up on using TM.

I tried to do some research but didn't find anything much, especially recent; I'm wondering about TM vs Artlantis. They seem very similar to have been developed by the same company. I used Artlantis over 20 years ago and I've downloaded it a couple of times to try out but always got too busy to get anywhere during the trial period. But, I downloaded TM and I have been using it regularly. So now I'm wondering, when Unreal comes out with TM2020 with a VW plug-in and a price tag, should I push for my company to purchase it or Artlantis?

As to what I'm doing, it is not architecture; we do corporate events. So most of my renderings are interior and I set the sun to zero. I do commonly build out the facility interior. I have noticed that TM doesn't do much in the way of "drop shadows", say shadowing under a picture hanging on the wall. I do use the plants pretty often, as one of our main clients sells plants. I've found the plants in TM to be a bit limited as I need more small plants rather than trees, but they look lot better than the ones in VW. I've played around with creating animations and would like to do more but when I've showed them to people in my company, their reply was along the lines of "that's cool but if we show the client that, they'll want it every time". For this one particular client, we end up creating hundreds of renderings (a lot of simple OpenGL stuff plus a good number of nice renderings) with lots of revisions so they have a point. I'm mainly using TM for the lighting, superior textures (though a lot I just bring over from VW as they are product specific (client sells flooring, etc) and the people.

@chaz there's a few sneak preview vids of the new 2020 version over on the Twinmotion YouTube channel, apparently plants and people are to be much improved, along with other enhancements, it will be interesting to see what price point they start at, and whether they go down the route of subscription, or perpetual license ??? 

As for what you're giving your clients, if they want 100's of renders, you should be charging them £££s for this service, its a fine line what you 'give for free' trying to win work, and where the line is to start charging for revision after revision after revision. 

I am a bit disappointed that nothing in the 2020 previews showed

any hint of Raytracing. At least any screen space Global Illumination.

Everything Plants, People and Entourage is fine now in TM.

(With their hint to not use more than a hand full of their newer better Plants)

But TM's Ambient Occlusion look with Ambient Light lit Ceilings is far behind

Lumion or Enscape.

Unreal Engine now has Raytracing (Windows only) beside their usual fakeing

Helpers that create some Render Features limited certain areas.

But I haven't heard of any TM Export/Exchange so far.

Thanks, milezee. This particular client is a contract client, not speculative work so we are getting paid for these designs and renderings. I mostly work on jobs we already have, making them real. Mostly what I work on is the trade show aspect of the corporate event. This client does not allow exhibitors to bring their own displays; we design and build just about everything, along with the staging for the general session, builds for smaller sessions, meal rooms, and a concert production, etc. Our main speculative designer uses C4D; we're trying to reel him in a bit to use VW more before he takes it into C4D so that we have something to start with  rather than just his rendering as a jpg.

• Like 2

I worked with a project over the past few days w Twinmotion.  Tent set up for a corporate job, one side glass wall with a view to the outside.  While I love working in a baked environment where I can walk around and look at things, dropping in textures that look good and having exports be near instant, there are some major drawbacks:

-you cant make a custom HDRI or background.  I ended up having a large curved backdrop to put in the scene behind the window, which of course blocked out the sunlight

-the lighting is really primitive.  Again, while it is very fun to be up and running with just a few sliders instead of a more laborious process, the lights are very limited and it showed in the shadowing of objects.

-no exporting of alpha channels, no exporting of a file format that works with other renderers, it's a dead end solution. 

But it is a solution that that I think would be great if it were coupled w/a CAD program like VW.  I think in my workflow I could see it replacing Renderworks and be able to produce "draft" versions of the look that were a step up from wireframe/greyscales for a client.  Then port the file over to a higher end program like C4D for real quality renders.  

• Like 2