Twinmotion Plugin + Sync

Tom Klaber

Question

On 10/31/2018 at 6:42 PM, Jim Wilson said:

The only "bad" news about Lumion is that it's Windows only, Twinmotion however is Mac/Windows.

However, they are both very similar tools, and I would suspect that establishing a workflow and/or plugin with one would benefit the others directly.

The bad news is debatable, cause most Macs come with integrated GPUs or very basic dedicated GPUs, I would say it´s bad news for people with iMac Pros, the rest of us will have a very poor performance with twinmotion unless we go the external (eGPU) route, a very expensive route... 

Edited by arqteran
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
47 minutes ago, arqteran said:

The bad news is debatable, cause most Macs come with integrated GPUs or very basic dedicated GPUs, I would say it´s bad news for people with iMac Pros, the rest of us will have a very poor performance with twinmotion unless we go the external (eGPU) route, a very expensive route... 

Very true and a real concern. I'll try to test this so I can make hardware recommendations once I get my hands on a twinmotion license.

1 hour ago, arqteran said:

18 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

Very true and a real concern. I'll try to test this so I can make hardware recommendations once I get my hands on a twinmotion license.

Except that the underlying Unreal Engine in Twinmotion directly supports Metal so the performance may be better than you think.

Kevin

• Like 3

I was also originally much more interested in Lumion as the output looks to be better, although Twinmotio's ain't too shabby 😉 

I migrated my interest to Twinmotion doe to the fact we are a Mac office.  I would love to hear that Lumion change its tune on Mac support.  It also souds like it better supports props as billboards.  Interested to hear more about those if you get to them Jim!

Gregg

20 hours ago, NikF said:

Please find enclosed some Lumion 9 renderings based on VW 2018.

I'm still waiting for a Vectorworks LiveSynch as well for Lumion 9.

So, please keep on asking this topic at the Lumion Forum (Lumion has to program that plugin): https://forum.lumion.com/index.php! --> WE NEED PLEASE A LIVE SYNCH FOR VECTORWORKS!

Hi Nikolaus,

Thanks for reminding me, have posted in the lumion forum requests, and an enhancement request here too (VE-99304 @Jim Wilson

I guess we can just keep knocking till the door opens 😀

Cheers,

Tui

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This isn't from us directly, but I noticed it in my inbox this morning and im definitely going to watch:

"Twinmotion is an award-winning solution for real-time visualization, 3D immersion, and VR exploration. Compatible with all BIM software, Twinmotion has quickly become a favorite visualization software for Vectorworks users interested in creating compelling presentations in real-time. Join us on January 31 as Abvent’s Martin Krasemann and special guest Jonathan Reeves, award-winning architect, author and educator of Innovative Vectorworks BIM, present a free, one-hour webinar. We’ll demonstrate the innovative modeling solutions in Vectorworks and how Twinmotion can bring your Vectorworks projects to life in just one click, resulting in beautiful renderings and animations."

Its @Jonathan Reeves7 so you know it'll be good.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7351874999562748427

Might be useful to anyone interested in this thread.

• Like 4

I have registered! (-:

I joined a webinar Desember 13th and asked in the comment section about a VectorWorks plugin. Martin Krasemann answered very positively as if they where planning to do one! It think it would be very good for both applications to have a plugin similar to ArchiCad and Revit.

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Glad you will be joining us for this one and thanks for the positive mention!

There some nice videos for anyone interested in Vectorworks and Twinmotion on my Channel:-

Innovative vectorworks BIM

http://bit.ly/2qvnhhq

Jonathan

5 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

This isn't from us directly, but I noticed it in my inbox this morning and im definitely going to watch:

"Twinmotion is an award-winning solution for real-time visualization, 3D immersion, and VR exploration. Compatible with all BIM software, Twinmotion has quickly become a favorite visualization software for Vectorworks users interested in creating compelling presentations in real-time. Join us on January 31 as Abvent’s Martin Krasemann and special guest Jonathan Reeves, award-winning architect, author and educator of Innovative Vectorworks BIM, present a free, one-hour webinar. We’ll demonstrate the innovative modeling solutions in Vectorworks and how Twinmotion can bring your Vectorworks projects to life in just one click, resulting in beautiful renderings and animations."

Its @Jonathan Reeves7 so you know it'll be good.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7351874999562748427

Might be useful to anyone interested in this thread.

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 20.36.34.png

• Like 3

@JRA-Vectorworks-CAD thank you so much for the webinar, and taking the time to answer everyone's questions.

Additionally, I was wondering if you have any best practices for revising a VW model after importing to TM?

Also, like a lot of colleagues, I find myself limiting VW rendering to OpenGL and Hidden Line. That keeps the file size down, speeds it up, and reduces crashes which are particularly beneficial when sharing with collaborators (especially if they're using an older/weaker/Apple computer). So I'm really just plating up the 3D model these days. In fact, I'm almost at the point of not using Renderworks textures at all for those reasons and also because I (or someone else) can add much more realistic materials in a standalone render app (in a fraction of the time no less). As you've been a longtime user of 3D software and traditional drawing/presenting processes, how has exporting to TM changed/streamlined your VW workflow?

Thanks again!

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
38 minutes ago, JRA-Vectorworks-CAD said:

For all those interested in finding out more about Vectorworks and Twinmotion features, and please check out my Youtube channel, Innovative Vectorworks BIM.

Especially check Jonatan's workflow exporting from Vectorworks to C4D and how he treats any missing materials. 

• Like 2