Twinmotion Plugin + Sync

Tom Klaber

Question

I have been playing around with the trial.  I have already accepted I am getting now work done today.

It has A LOT of useful features.  You can get out an impressive video game style walk through...with goats, in a rainstorm - from scratch - in half a day.  Very fluid. Seems so promising.

ISSUES:

Scaling:  There seems to be an issue with how it reads the scale of VW.  I am sure there is a combination of settings to correct this - but I have not found them.  Scaling down the import to .11 is as close as I can get.

Texturing:  Right now - all objects that have the same texture are considered a single object, even if you "Preserve Hierarchy" - which is OK - except the mapping is FUDGED.  The way twin motion handles faces makes it so that if you apply a texture that has both a horizontal and vertical component - things get smeared.  There is also no way - that I have found yet - to break up the model - to allow re-texturing of objects separately.  Having a more intelligent export might allow for bettering retexturing in Twinmotion.

Strange Artifacts:  With my OBJ export - there seems to be a floating plan projection that gets exported along with the 3D geometry - along with some other strange extrudes that are not in the VW model.  This would be fine except there is no way to erase them in Twinmotion as it treats the whole import as a single thing.

Sync - the more I think about it the more this is needed.  You could spend days texturing a model - then if you make a change and have to re-import - you have to redo all that work. 

I am going to keep playing around - I am sure there are existing work around for some of these issues.  But if VW could play nice - you could offload a ton of pressure to implement this these features in-house.  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

Right now - all objects that have the same texture are considered a single object, even if you "Preserve Hierarchy" - which is OK

What ?

That would be great for Modo !

A single Mesh Item including all Objects from a Class or Material (per Layer)

would be absolutely wonderful.

(As long as Objects are proper welded and not glued together and/or alternatively

all Faces come with correct Face Orientation)

But I am sure that I lately re-checked again all possible 3D VW Export Formats

including OBJ and was not successful. Each Object an extra Mesh Item.

Still FBX best, other formats with scale or up Axis problems.

Edited by zoomer

We've played around with this release for a while as well.

Quite seemles with FBX export. The same with Lumion3D.

Lumion is the one we use in house for quick video renders. The pricing is quite steep though, hence the reason were stuck on version 6. Both of these products should be on Vectorworks radar...

Below render took 5mins (720p).

Edited by twk
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Markvl said:

I think I may have to see if I can convince my boss to allow me to purchase a license.  This looks so cool and simple to use.

Out of everything that it can do - the ease of use was the most impressive thing.

Navigation is the only thing I have not gotten down.  I have been wanting one of the 3D Nav mice things for awhile - this might push it over the edge.

I have used Artlantis with some renderings, but mostly use Renderworks.  It looks as though Abvent may be concentrating more on Twinmotion over Artlantis, but I could be wrong in speculating.  I am happy to see it has come to mac and after these great little videos you posted, I am going to dive into the demo as well.

Rob

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It took me a sec to see what black magic was being used to get these renders in just minutes, but after some experimenting it turns out they just have a REALLY good OpenGL implementation, giving them high light counts, reflectivity, bump shader quality and of course, object animation.

This doesn't make me like it less, just makes my thoughts (related to stealing from it) switch gears from enhancing Renderworks Animations and more towards enhancing OpenGL.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, JimW said:

It took me a sec to see what black magic was being used to get these renders in just minutes, but after some experimenting it turns out they just have a REALLY good OpenGL implementation, giving them high light counts, reflectivity, bump shader quality and of course, object animation.

This doesn't make me like it less, just makes my thoughts (related to stealing from it) switch gears from enhancing Renderworks Animations and more towards enhancing OpenGL.

I have put herds of goats and 100s of cars and bikes - in the rain - while transitioning to night - where all the lights come on-  nothing slows my machine down at all.  Whatever they are doing seems REALLY efficient. 

On 8/25/2017 at 12:05 PM, JimW said:

… it turns out they just have a REALLY good OpenGL implementation, giving them high light counts, reflectivity, bump shader quality and of course, object animation.

++++++++