3D labels in section viewport

Hi all, I'm struggling to get a fixture label to display in a section viewport. I have all the right classes selected but still no go. If i create a standard viewport in front view then I get the label, I need to create a viewport from the stage frontline inwards so as to not clutter the view with dance floor trusses and section seems the simplest. Would i be better just putting everything on the dance floor on a separate layer and turn that off for the viewport?

Cheers folks

Yep, 3d labels, I've set them to the right orientation but still no joy. I've created a new document with nothing but one moving head in it, labelled it and created two viewports from the front, one just by drawing a box around it and including the label in the area and a second by creating a section viewport that is the wider than the area needed to contain the 3d label. The label is certainly there as it shows up in the standard viewport and when I rotate around the head in custom view I see it clearly however it's still not showing up in the section viewport.

I could create classes for all the stuff in front of the stage (trusses, fixtures, video panels, venue architecture etc) and disable them for this particular viewport which shows the patch details of various vertically stacked fixtures on drop bars on the upstage truss but that just seems like a faff and I like to keep things as simple as possible. A section viewport seems the simplest way to create an uncluttered view but i just can't get it to display the labels.... 

As usual with my VW troubles, its usually a very simple thing I'm missing, I just cant find it this time...

There are one or two things you could try:

1. Do you have display planar objects ticked in the Viewport's OIP.
  2. The crop object severely restricts the view as you rotate around the viewport. You could delete the crop. My advice though is that if you want to see particular position/s in a viewport then you should put them on a separate layer and ONLY show that layer in the viewport. This is essentially the concept behind the Create Plot Model View command in the Spotlight/Visualisation menu.

Mark

Edited by markdd

Cheers, Yep, didn't have Display Planar Objects ticked, that has sorted it out in the single head only file i made so all good but in the file i'm working on, after setting to display Planar and clicking on Update, the process was taking huge amount of time. I'm working on a MBP i7 with 16gb and a 2gb graphics so should be okay but after about an hour it had gotten nowhere. I'll look into "Create Plot and Model View", its something I know nothing about....

Cheers.

Cheers, will look into getting it sent when next at the machine, I think checking the Display Planar Objects boxed has solved the issue - sort of...

However, its just created another problem, I have as suggested created a layer that only holds the truss and fixtures I want to show and have created a viewport on a new sheet of the front view of the stage. On it are maybe two dozen moving heads, some Sunstrips, a bit of truss and two mirrorballs. Again when I click Update in the OIP with display planar objects ticked I just get the whirling ball for what so far is about an hour.... It would be quicker to create some text boxes on that plane that represent the fixture number and patch data than wait for it to finish rendering. Would there be somthing that is making the process really slow?

So after a good clean up of the file things seem to be better. If I try to do a hidden line render of the stage plot it still takes far to much time (i never even bothered letting it get to the end it was that slow) but this plot will do. I'll load up the file to dropbox but its 180 mb so will take a while on my connection. Also, what are the lines coming out of the labels and how do I get rid of them?

Cheers

Stage Plot.pdf