Help with info centre

Is this an existing sketch/jpg/pdf? If it is then you will need to scale the object using what you know about it's dimensions.  At the very least you will need to trace it first using the polyline tool (or a series of arcs and lines composed together) and make sure that the resulting polyline is closed. If you know the object's height then simply Extrude the Polyline (Model, Extrude) by the known height and you will have a solid 3D object with which to work.

Here's how I would approach this. Note that I am aware there are different ways. I tend to draw using guide shapes to rough out all of the geometry at once. I also tend to do cleanup and assume the original concept artist intended for 45 degree shapes, even dimensions, symmetry etc.. All of these assumptions would be based on design intent and on your relationship with the person who did the concept plan.

1. Start on a clean layer. Import image.
  2. Confirm alll dimensions labelled 2.4 are the same.
  3. Select the image and scale using Command Option = using the Symmetric by Distance option and picking the original 2.4m distance in the drawing.
  4. The original drawing is a bit off so I needed to decide should the arms be at 45 degrees. In the end I chose to use the point to point line on the bottom as the reference. I drew this line and rotated the image to make that line horizontal. Then I drew a centreline.
  5. Next I drew two diagonal rectangles, starting from these reference points. I rounded to clean dimensions (6850 instead of 6843).
  6. Then I drew the centre square.
  7. I assumed all the counters were intended to be the same for construction purposes. I used the upper right one for layout. I drew some test arcs to get an approximate radius. I assumed the centre point was on the outside edge of the centre arm. I settled on a rounded radius of 1700 and drew the arc.
  8. I measured the counter depth, duplicated the arc and subtracted the counter depth from the radius.
  9. I selected both arcs and clipped the surface to create the counter top shape. I deleted the extra pieces and clicked the "closed" checkbox on remaining polyline.
  10. Next I duplicated the counter top shape and rotated it around the centre point to place the other two counters. Not really a match. At this point I would normally make a judgement call, should it be symetrical / geometric or should I ask the original layout artist their intent.
  11. To layout the curve at the bottom I used two ovals.
  12. Now I option drag a copy of everthing over to the side so I have the original geometry layout just in case. I also moved the image up out of  the way.
  13. I created the last few polylines I needed using the paint bucket mode of the 2d polygon tool and by drawing a couple of rectangles.
  14. From here all that remains is to extrude the shapes and move them to the correct heights.

There is definitely some ambiguity here with what the design intent is. I've chosen to make the X shape an overhead feature but It may also be a counter or low divider wall. The part that confused me is the centre square which seems to be the same colour/height as the other counters.

Hope this is useful and not confusing.

Kevin

598bdb5ea73a2_ScreenShot2017-08-09at9_03_54PM.png.68c82d7c8b07a394397e0a6a8d6c9c16.png598bdb601ea1a_ScreenShot2017-08-09at9_03_37PM.png.054e4deb9fa270e64df4f75257d243d9.png598be300d1f16_ScreenShot2017-08-09at9_37_03PM.png.34cee80f0d5d5ee48921dfac3b317e33.png598be302d9999_ScreenShot2017-08-09at9_36_10PM.png.a55242d0cf2e364f74fa34e0d009b491.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 3
On 8/9/2017 at 7:04 AM, CraftyCat said:

how do I translate this into 3d please? 

If you're asking how to generally approach the process of modeling something in 3D, you may find the following three tutorial PDFs helpful; they're from an introductory Vectorworks class that I teach and might help get you started (experienced users might find some good tidbits of info in there as well).

1. Introduction to Extrudes, OpenGL, and Layer Plane vs Screen Plane
  2. Creating 3D Objects (Sweeps, Extrude Along Path, Tapered Extrude, Multiple Extrude, 3D Native Shapes)
  3. Modifying 3D Objects (Add, Subtract, Intersect, Section Solids, Split, Fillet, Chamfer, Shell, Push/Pull)

Update: PDFs added to my website on THIS PAGE (see "Jumping into 3D Modeling in Vectorworks").

Edited by Andy Broomell
37 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

If you're asking how to generally approach the process of modeling something in 3D, you may find the following three tutorial PDFs helpful; they're from an introductory Vectorworks class that I teach and might help get you started (experienced users might find some good tidbits of info in there as well).

A: Introduction to Extrudes, OpenGL, and Layer Plane vs Screen Plane

B: Creating 3D Objects (Sweeps, Extrude Along Path, Tapered Extrude, Multiple Extrude, 3D Native Shapes)

C: Modifying 3D Objects (Add, Subtract, Intersect, Section Solids, Split, Fillet, Chamfer, Shell, Push/Pull)

The tutorials are created with fairly large text, with the idea being you could load them on your phone or tablet and read along while working in Vectorworks on your main screen. Obviously there are also numerous video tutorials available on YouTube, but sometimes it's nice to be able to read along at your own pace instead of trying to keep up with a video as it plays.

These are great Andy!

Kevin