nrkuhl

Layer Cut Plane - Does it actually work?

6 posts in this topic

I have a plan with several walls that do not touch the floor (i.e. there are major ceiling height changes in a certain area of the floor).  I'm trying to set up a plan so that those walls do not show.  Since none of the walls come to within 2' off the floor, I set the Design Layer cut plane to 2', but nothing changes in either the design layer or the sheet layer.  Any suggestions as to what I'm missing?  This is not the first time I've tried to use this option, and it's also not the first time it hasn't made a difference.

Posted (edited)

Interesting. I've never played with that before. It definitely doesn't work as documented.

59888cc123c50_ScreenShot2017-08-07at8_41_33AM.png.ee05c8b354853a6650fcf9ac3621ca27.png

I could get it to work with an Auto-hybrid in the example file I made, but it doesn't change the cut plane for the walls, windows or doors as it says it should. The layer cut plane in my file is set to 8' and cuts correctly through the Auto-hybrid (bottom left) but should be cutting above the door and window. When I try in a sheet layer viewport set to Top/Plan it doesn't even cut the Auto-hybrid correctly.

59888ce7d908a_ScreenShot2017-08-07at8_52_39AM.png.339ef3a3e628b3b837658d0ff7c2dbe2.png

I wonder if there's someone here who uses this regularly and can comment on it.

Kevin

Cut Plane Example KM.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Posted (edited)

Cut Plane only hides the components of standard walls that are below the Cut Plane.   Standard walls that are entirely above the Cut Plane still show as if they are being cut by the Cut Plane.

Cut Plane shows the top of curtain walls that are below the Cut Plane.  Curtain walls that are entirely above the Cut Plane do not show at all.

You should Wish List the changes that you would like to see to this behaviour.

Walls and Cut Plane v2017.vwx

Isometric of Walls and Cut Plane .png

Plan of Walls and Cut Plane .png

Edited by mike m oz
Correct an error in images and file.

23 minutes ago, mike m oz said:

Cut Plane only hides the components of standard walls that are below the Cut Plane. 

Thanks for the clarification Mike. Is this documented somewhere? The small bit of documentation I posted above implies that it should work with standard walls and windows etc. but from what you're saying this command only affects Auto-hybrids and Curtain Walls.

Kevin

I don't think it is documented Kevin.  I worked it out from my own experiments after I discovered that a portion of reshaped wall that was above the cut plane was showing as being cut by the Cut Plane.

Walls and Wall parts that are above the Cut Plane should show dotted.  The fact that they don't is unfortunate.

I suspect that the different behaviour by Curtain Walls is because their cut view is generated by the auto hybrid capability.