Layer Cut Plane - Does it actually work?

nrkuhl

I have a plan with several walls that do not touch the floor (i.e. there are major ceiling height changes in a certain area of the floor).  I'm trying to set up a plan so that those walls do not show.  Since none of the walls come to within 2' off the floor, I set the Design Layer cut plane to 2', but nothing changes in either the design layer or the sheet layer.  Any suggestions as to what I'm missing?  This is not the first time I've tried to use this option, and it's also not the first time it hasn't made a difference.

Interesting. I've never played with that before. It definitely doesn't work as documented.

59888cc123c50_ScreenShot2017-08-07at8_41_33AM.png.ee05c8b354853a6650fcf9ac3621ca27.png

I could get it to work with an Auto-hybrid in the example file I made, but it doesn't change the cut plane for the walls, windows or doors as it says it should. The layer cut plane in my file is set to 8' and cuts correctly through the Auto-hybrid (bottom left) but should be cutting above the door and window. When I try in a sheet layer viewport set to Top/Plan it doesn't even cut the Auto-hybrid correctly.

59888ce7d908a_ScreenShot2017-08-07at8_52_39AM.png.339ef3a3e628b3b837658d0ff7c2dbe2.png

I wonder if there's someone here who uses this regularly and can comment on it.

Kevin

Cut Plane Example KM.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Cut Plane only hides the components of standard walls that are below the Cut Plane.   Standard walls that are entirely above the Cut Plane still show as if they are being cut by the Cut Plane.

Cut Plane shows the top of curtain walls that are below the Cut Plane.  Curtain walls that are entirely above the Cut Plane do not show at all.

You should Wish List the changes that you would like to see to this behaviour.

Walls and Cut Plane v2017.vwx

Isometric of Walls and Cut Plane .png

Plan of Walls and Cut Plane .png

Edited by mike m oz
Correct an error in images and file.
  • Like 2
23 minutes ago, mike m oz said:

Cut Plane only hides the components of standard walls that are below the Cut Plane. 

Thanks for the clarification Mike. Is this documented somewhere? The small bit of documentation I posted above implies that it should work with standard walls and windows etc. but from what you're saying this command only affects Auto-hybrids and Curtain Walls.

Kevin

I don't think it is documented Kevin.  I worked it out from my own experiments after I discovered that a portion of reshaped wall that was above the cut plane was showing as being cut by the Cut Plane.

Walls and Wall parts that are above the Cut Plane should show dotted.  The fact that they don't is unfortunate.

I suspect that the different behaviour by Curtain Walls is because their cut view is generated by the auto hybrid capability.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

This tool was so close to being VERY useful! But the fact it only relates to wall components is rather self defeating. We have viewports for simplified presentations where we like to turn off the wall components (i.e.- for schematic design). Partial height walls below the cut plane all of a sudden display like they're being cut (per main wall class assignment). I would expect the main wall class to follow the same override algorithm as the component wall classes. This seems like an odd oversight. I hope we don't have to wait to long for this to be fixed!

CORRECTION!

I must have been doing something wrong. I can now get the class display override to work when components are turned off. I'm not sure what was going on the first time around...

I guess the only issue is when the wall is above the cut plane.

CORRECTION TO CORRECTION...IS THIS A BUG??

This tool definitely is not working correctly. Can someone please tell me if this is a bug? Aside from unstyled walls not obeying cut plane algorithm (which seems to be per design), my styled walls are getting tripped up as well.

Here's the set up:

My partition walls are set to A-WALL-PRTN class, which is set to 18mil with a grey fill. When the wall goes below the cut plane, I set the display to my partial height wall class A-WALL-PRHT, which is 10mil with a white fill. I should probably just name it A-WALL-BELW so that the names aren't so similar. Anyway, I've included screenshots of these settings.

Here's the glitch:

When I have my wall detail components turned on, both the line and fill display correctly below cut plane. But, when I turn off wall components, the line displays per the partial height class, but the fill reverts to the full height partition wall class! What's going on here?!

Please help if you can... 

mcg

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 11.34.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 11.36.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 11.37.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 11.37.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 11.38.04 AM.png

Edited by mgries
i was wrong about being wrong about the tool not working correctly.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 8 months later...

Does anyone know how to specify a cut line in a design layer so that the staircase appears to be clipped in half, as is a common form of plan presentation (image 1)

And can anyone tell me why the segment of wall above the glass screen (image 2) still appears on the plan on the sheet layer (image 3) even though the cut line is below it (image 4)

TIA

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 15.32.17.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 15.39.15.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 15.36.15.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 15.41.08.png

1 hour ago, LeoJ said:

Does anyone know how to specify a cut line in a design layer so that the staircase appears to be clipped in half, as is a common form of plan presentation (image 1)

The 2D graphic stair cutline is controlled in the Stair Tool Settings (Layer Cut Plane has nothing to do with this).

1 hour ago, LeoJ said:

And can anyone tell me why the segment of wall above the glass screen (image 2) still appears on the plan on the sheet layer (image 3) even though the cut line is below it (image 4)

This happens because the Layer Cut Plane functionality as implemented is not working as one would expect (as discussed toward the beginning of this current thread and others). Hopefully Vw is working to correct this.

2 hours ago, LeoJ said:

As rDesign said.

You would want to insert another Window in "Opening only" Mode

(Or a Wall-cutting Symbol ?)

to get the cut out displayed in the Top Plan Style Viewport.

Ah, yes, a windows config option.

Not sure how to handle/exclude these extra Windows in calculations,

as I'm not very experienced.

But a Wall will appear in Top Plan View, no matter where it sits to

cut height. Just when Wall top is under cut height setting, it will appear

as a simple top view, opposed to Walls higher than cut height which will

be shown with all components as in a section.

• 4 months later...

Does anybody know if representing this wall and window situation can be done correctly in VW 2018 or 2019? I have this sort of problem all the time in VW. 

On 6/25/2018 at 10:42 AM, LeoJ said:

TIA

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 15.32.17.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 15.39.15.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 15.36.15.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 15.41.08.png

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I have a plan with multiple design layers and wish to set the section of the plan view 'cut' to a certain height. I set the height I want that layer to cut at but nothing changes.

How can I change the cut height of that layer? This is an architectural drawing, it can't be an open gl projection of a model in clip cube.

Thank you. 

• 2 years later...

I'm still having this issue in VW 2023 SP6.

In this situation, I've got several openable windows set in a curtain wall which is in turn set above a conventional wall starting from a height of 3 000 mm, while my cut plane is set at 1 000 mm. While the curtain wall itself does not show in my 2D plan, the inset windows do. This is rather ridiculous. Of course, I could put the windows on a separate class or layer and hide them, further clogging my file with unnecessary bureaucratic divisions (and please don't tell me to swallow this and use filters), but what is then even the point of a cut plane?

Snarky remarks aside, I would be very grateful if anyone has found a solution to this problem and could point to it. No luck yet trawling the forums.

Thanks, and all the best!

Capture d’écran 2023-10-13 à 17.52.39.png

Capture d’écran 2023-10-13 à 17.54.26.png

Edited by heavy manners