resize cursor snap radius

Is there a way to change the snap radius of the resize cursor? It seams to be independant of the snap distance set in VW prefs. It take a lot of concentration to get it to appear. Then when I click the cursor frequently reverts to selection. I have the snap radius set way out to 12 pixels. I would like for it to stay engaged a bit longer. I'm using a track ball to point. So it's pretty steady.

I've been using VW10.5.1 Architect since December upgraded from 8.5. I'm still not used to the way it feels. And I miss the speed of 8.5. ( sure like the new features though, 'walls from spaces' saves hours;-)

Mac OS 10.2.8 on an upgraded G3 with 'bout 3/4g ram

The speed differences you are noticing are more on the OS, than in VW.

Speed improvements have been made in VW, although VW 9 and 10 are twice as accurate with their snapping points - which can slow the program down a hair, but you shouldn't notice it.

On the other hand, OS 10 is significantly slower than OS 9, especially if you don't keep the computer tuned up with Disk Utility.

Chances are, the speed issue is your OS, rather than VW.

I'm not sure what you mean by the problems you are having with the resize cursor. The cues between the resize cursor and the normal cursor are the same as the other cues you get on the screen such as point, obj, center, etc.

Most people keep the snap radius at 7 pts.

You say it reverts to selection when you click the cursor.

Are you clicking and holding the mouse button

down, then moving or are you letting go of the mouse button durring move, or just a hair before?

Do you have click, drag, drawing enabled in the VW Prefs?

Thanks Katie

to illustrate the cursor behavior imagine this:

draw a rectangle

select it

move pointer toward corner handle

at about 5/32" away smart cue appears dot added to arrow cursor

continue moving pointer toward handle

at about 1/32" pointer changes to cross+dot

continue moving pointer toward handle

once directly over handle pointer changes to resize (diagonal arrow) sometimes the resize cursor doesn't appear unless I move around over the handel a bit. Once it appears it will tolerate about a 1 pixel move before it reverts to cross+dot.

If I train my finger to lift off the track ball before clicking to engage "resize" it works just fine. But if I move the pointer (sometimes just 1 pixel) the cursor reverts to cross+dot and I end up dragging an object not a handle.

I've been experimenting with changes to the trackball settings in Kensington Mouseworks. This has helped a little.

VW prefs set to click-click drawing

My hardware has not changed since upgrading to VW10.5 but the OS has.

Once a week OS maintenance is preformed by Cocktail (Permissions checked/repaired)

I didn't do a clean install of OS 10. Perhaps I should wipe the system and start over. This might help the speed issue, maybe not. I played with a new emac the other day and found it displayed the same hesitation executing simple actions like pulling down menus that I routinely experience (1-2 second wait).

Those pauses in the menus and so forth are all OS issues, not in VW.

I see where your problem is with the cursor. Unfortunately, this was changed because a number of people asked to be able to move objects by a corner point so as to snap corners and other points correctly to other objects.