Vectorworks 2015 suddenly lagging

RAM Constructions Qld

Question

10 answers to this question

If VW is running slower on the same hardware/operating system than it did before, the problem is likely to be the computer, not VW.

How much free disk space do you have? If it is less than 25%, the first step would be to archive and remove a lot of stuff to free up some space.

How old is the computer run VW2015? What operating system are you running?

Have you checked for viruses and trojans? 

Are any other programs running slow?

Still having problems with slowing and lagging. I seems all the drawing files on one flash drive are affected with it becoming unusable. Slows and freezes and unable to perform any tasks at all. Have loaded vectorworks on another office computer and seemed to run OK at first and just got to the stage of unusable. Used another flash drive with my initial drawings and they seem to be fine. I'm using it for 2D drawing only, plans and set out drawings for on site construction work.  Have scanned for viruses and all comes up clear. Have also reset the vectorworks preferences but to no avail.

Seems to have affected all drawings on that flash drive but doesn't seem to be a virus.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Rob H 

RAM Constructions

I agree with Mark. Flash drives do go bad. If nothing else I would make a backup copy as soon as possible. Like stop reading hear and make the backup. Really. I mean it.

The philosophy of backup that I follow (I have stolen this and can't remember who originally said it) is that nothing is backed up until you have at least 3 copies on two different media in at least two different physical locations.

Two different media protect you in case of a software glitch. If you use all identical hard drives and there is a firmware bug, it could make both copies unreadable. If you have on a hard drive, one on a flash drive and one in the cloud, you are much safer.

Two different physical locations protects you from theft and natural disaster. Francis Ford Coppola had his computer and the backup disk sitting next to it stolen losing 15+ years worth of work. Similarly a fire would likely destroy both the primary and local backup copies.  One of the locations can certainly be in the cloud.

Sorry for the rant, but I really do think this is important.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, markdd said:

What happens if you load the drawings on to the computer rather than working from the flash drive. It may be that the flash drive is the problem?

1 minute ago, Pat Stanford said:

I agree with Mark. Flash drives do go bad. If nothing else I would make a backup copy as soon as possible. Like stop reading hear and make the backup. Really. I mean it.

The philosophy of backup that I follow (I have stolen this and can't remember who originally said it) is that nothing is backed up until you have at least 3 copies on two different media in at least two different physical locations.

Two different media protect you in case of a software glitch. If you use all identical hard drives and there is a firmware bug, it could make both copies unreadable. If you have on a hard drive, one on a flash drive and one in the cloud, you are much safer.

Two different physical locations protects you from theft and natural disaster. Francis Ford Coppola had his computer and the backup disk sitting next to it stolen losing 15+ years worth of work. Similarly a fire would likely destroy both the primary and local backup copies.  One of the locations can certainly be in the cloud.

Sorry for the rant, but I really do think this is important.

I strongly second both of these suggestions.

When you say "flash drive" are you talking about a portable memory stick or an SSD drive? Personally I wouldn't recommend opening a VW file directly from a portable memory stick. Move it to your desktop and open it there. Also, where is VW set to back up to? If your setting is "A backup folder in the same location as the original file" then VW is also trying to back up to the same removable media.

Kevin

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have just got my computer back after a check up and have gone back to factory settings. I have had to revert back to previous drawings that I have saved and all seems to be running well again. I always save several copies in different places and although i have had to redo some work all is good to go. It seems the drawings had become contaminated and all the latest drawings have the same issue. My mistake maybe that instead of saving drawings under a new headings or dates I was just updating on all flash drives and on the computer. Luckily had saved a separate  set of the preliminary drawings that were set aside and not updated each time.

Thanks again and will let you know if i have any further issues

Regards

Rob H