Adjust flipped text not working

Andrew Davies

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi - The way I see it is that Vectorworks is working correctly with the information you've provided to it using 3D symbols. 

The image you've posted is in 3D 'space', albeit arranged to show a fairly simple 2d layout of numbered tiles.

In this respect vectorworks can never know which way you want to view the tile layout. Let's say you wanted to look at the tiles in the vicinity of 'view c' from the underside. The tiles would now be seen to be at the top (north) of the layout and would be correctly displaying the number you've assigned. The change of 3D viewpoint is critical I believe.

If you always want to use (that's to say view) as a 2d plan layout with views (ABCD) annotated as shown, I suggest you flip the 3D symbols to the correct orientation of the numbers so they'll display upright. More likely this is a 2d layout and should stay as such. 

I hope I've understood your problem correctly. Happy for you to give me a kick if I've massively  missed the point.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for such a through response!

You understood it perfectly. 

I thought that that was the case - but what put me off was how, when zooming in and out of the drawing, the numbers temporarily rotated to the correct orientation. As soon as the zoom stopped - they would flip back. 

I actually fixed this this by moving the number to the 2d part of the symbol (there is a 3D extrude in the symbol already). I should have done that the first time - but thought it would be ok. 

Still think its it's a bug though - otherwise the odd behaviour whilst zooming wouldn't be apparent. If it helps - I could try and film it - a screen grab wouldn't show the issue. 

But it no great shakes. All sorted now. 

Thanks again

Andrew

Yes that is something that may help, not just with the flipped text but with some other options as well as it seems it sometimes needs a reset.

As far as I can tell it works properly in VW2018 SP1 for symbols and rotate/mirror. However if you use the flip option of e.g. dimensions then it may not work as the one flip overrides the other flip. The same may apply to call-out.

-