Looking for an explanation of Vectorworks 2017 system requirements

hughmitchell

Question

I only use Vectorworks in 2D. I don't use it for rendering and i don't use renderworks etc. 

I am trying to understand whether Vectorworks 2017 uses the graphics card to draw or the CPU to draw vectored 2D. 

I have an 8 core CPU at 4.2Ghz but it really struggles with Vectorworks 2017. I think this is because VW is a single core process only in the drawing space and therefore performs slowly. Is this correct? 

The system requirements recommend at least 2GB dedicated graphics memory which i have. But is this only for renderworks? or is the graphics card used for 2D vector drawings? 

To get better performance in 2D (despite my current PC more than meeting the recommended specs) should i upgrade my graphics card or my CPU?

many thanks,

H

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, hughmitchell said:

I am trying to understand whether Vectorworks 2017 uses the graphics card to draw or the CPU to draw vectored 2D. 

It does, yes. You can reduce this reliance somewhat by going to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics and setting that to Best Compatibility.

2 hours ago, hughmitchell said:

To get better performance in 2D (despite my current PC more than meeting the recommended specs) should i upgrade my graphics card or my CPU?

What graphics card do you have currently?

3 hours ago, hughmitchell said:

2GB dedicated graphics memory. But is this only for renderworks? or is the graphics card used for 2D vector drawings? 

Renderworks is CPU only and will not profit from GPU and VRAM at all.

(At least until today as C4D R19 will introduce AMD Pro GPU Render soon and that or similar solution

may, at least in parts, find its way into VW at one point too)

Screen display may depend a bit on CPU too but mostly GPU will help screen display and speed.

It will normally feel much slower if you deactivate GPU acceleration in

Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics

by setting that to Best Compatibility.

Faster VRAM will help, but is mainly that the VRAM needs to be big enough to fit your whole geometry

into the GPU.

For your 2D overall work, you should consider a fast GPU. VW 2017 uses some more GPU for 2D.

(mainstream medium gaming best bang for the buck GPUs are mostly fine)

and balance that with a CPU with fast single core or turbo mode speed.

For the more far future you should not forget about CPU multi core speeds as VW may make more and more

use of multi threading for tool or viewport calculations.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1