Create a symbol that shows a checkbox

I currently have a symbol with a record format attached.  In the record format I have a boolean field.  I want to be able to display this field on my symbol so that its visible when its true and not visible when false or if i could just display this as a check box that would work too.  How can I accomplish this?

The simplest solution would be to add a text object to your symbol and then link it to the record using Modify>Link Text to Record. It would show as "True" when the checkbox is checked and "False" when the checkbox is unchecked.

There  is probably also a Marionette driven solution.

Kevin

Boolean Symbol Example.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Added example file.

I agree with Kevin. 

In VW2017 it appears that Linked Text to Record can only handle simple text. If I try to include high-byte characters (math symbols, greek letters, etc.) the record does not accept them.

I don't know of any other way to do this other than having it display as True/False.

You could format it as a popup and use a row in the setup with just a space as your false value.

You are asking for something that is a little beyond the capabilities of 2017.

Actually, if it is just for show and you don't mind if what shows in the OIP does not match what shows on screen you can fake it.

Format the text in the symbol to use the Wingdings font.  Figure out what character in a alphabetical font equates to the Wingding character you want. Lower case w appears to be a box with an X in it, while lower case o is an empty box that look similar.

Format the field in the Record to be a popup with options of lower case w and lower case o (or just a space)

Now when you choose w from the popup you should get the box with x in the linked text.

Will that work for you?

1 hour ago, bcd said:

Ok - here's a solution. But you'd be advised to not explore how I did it, it's kinda embarrassing :)

Boolean Symbol Example Dot.vwx

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 6.30.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 6.30.01 PM.png

Simple is often the best solution. Great out of the box thinking :)

(Pyrotechnic may find they need to adjust the fonts though. I think both of you are seeing it correctly because of Font Mapping to Arial. On my system it doesn't quite work because the original font is present...)

Kevin